sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2017 9:36 am  #1

Why This May Be Radio’s Weirdest Week Ever

I’ve never seen such a weird week for oddball radio stories from around the world. Consider what’s happened in the past few days alone:

From the U.K.:

Local radio station keeps getting hijacked by song about masturbation

Some guy is hijacking the airwaves in Britain, endlessly playing a song about what Seinfeld fans will recognize as being master of your own domain. (Ofcom is the British equivalent of the CRTC.)

Yorkshire radio blasts al-Qaeda speeches for 25 hours before anyone noticed

A radio station in England broadcasts 25 hours of an extremist call to Jihad, then claims they didn’t realize what they were airing.

From the U.S.:

Man With Ax Arrested Outside Boston Radio Studio After Song Request

A man tries to request a song by Insane Clown Posse called “My Ax” on radio station Kiss 108 in Boston. He brought along an ax to the outlet’s parking lot to back up the demand, sparking a major police standoff. 

N.J. Gov. Chris Christie calls constituent 'bum,' 'communist' on sports talk radio

He’s trying out on New York sports station WFAN for a gig, when he loses the next election or chooses not to run. Either of those now seem like a sure thing and this won't help. 

Man Crashes Car Through Radio Station’s Transmitter Fence, Starts Fire

A drunk driver crashes through a fence on land that plays host to the powerful transmitters for ESPN 710 (the former KMPC) in Los Angeles, sparking a fire. But the station stayed on the air.

July 11, 2017 12:00 pm  #2

Re: Why This May Be Radio’s Weirdest Week Ever

from Barrie, Ontario, Canada:

101.1 BigFM, Barrie's Q-107 affiliate that plays the same tunes even though Q-107's signal isn't bad in Barrie, is running commercials for the Wasaga Beach Motorcycle Rally this weekend along the lines of . . . "brought to you by 95.1 the Peak".  [The Peak is Corus' soccer-mom unit out of Collingwood].    

As an aside, wondering if Mike Bullard will buzz up to the m.c. rally . . . Collingwood is just a short cruise north of Beeton.     And will he have heard about it on 95.1 the Peak or on 101.1 BigFM?

Last edited by geo (July 11, 2017 12:12 pm)

July 11, 2017 6:23 pm  #3

grilled.cheese wrote:

I passed the studio for CJGB in Meaford.  I wanted to press my breasts against the window and request a Frank D'Angelo song but I didn't have time 

Your constitutional rights have been violated; will you accept $10.5 million to shut up & become a Liberal?

July 11, 2017 8:38 pm  #4

grilled.cheese wrote:

I rode my motorcycle to Owen Sound.  The big stupid yellow duck ended up being there.  On the way, I passed the studio for CJGB in Meaford.  I wanted to press my breasts against the window and request a Frank D'Angelo song but I didn't have time to kill.  Death is always one step behind me
#OldCodger 

Ya...dying from the boring life generated in large part by today's media ... you know the same dinks who thought that Frank D'Angelo hosting a TV show would be a good idea.  Bet they weren't from Sault Ste Marie.

Jeepers cheese...if I was your age...I'd have made the time just to get his autograph.  Imagine what that would be worth by the time you're my age!!!   Was he wearing his goalie pads?

July 12, 2017 7:24 am  #5

Huh?  You tell me to check MY facts?  Ol' Frank didn't buy the arena.  Steelback Beer/Brewery took a 10 year naming rights contract out on the facility, made 1 payment and then subsequently lost the naming rights to Essar Steel who paid for their 10 year contract all upfront, at the requst/demand of the Sault's City Council after the fiasco with the beer boys which saw THAT company file for bankruptcy and then basically disappear into history.

15 months after the official unveiling of the name...November 2007...the promise of a brave new future was toast... ... ...not beer.

July 12, 2017 8:41 am  #6

Of the myriad of morning shows, none comes close to providing pure entertainment value as this SOWNY morning show starring grilled.cheese and his sidekick the O. Codger (or is it the other way around?)

July 12, 2017 4:33 pm  #7

grilled.cheese wrote:

He's the Cher to my Sonny, the Ringo to my rest of the Beatles, Big Ears Teddy to my Jian.

Fine with me...as long as I continue to be paid [a minimum of] 10 times the stipend extended to my cohort Mr. Wizz.   [and the girls all love me.]

Next.