sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 20, 2016 7:01 pm  #1

Random Panic Wednesday

Heads-up.  There's another Provincial Panic Alert test tomorrow at 10:55 AM.  It will probably not be on-time, the synth voice will sound like a Borg and most hosts will be listening to a board feed and not know it even happened.
Not me.  I'll have an on-air feed, take it live and then host a panel with six in-studio guests talking over each other.

September 20, 2016 7:27 pm  #2

Re: Random Panic Wednesday

Hey Miker,

Big fan! Every third weekend of May, I gather with my closest family members for a Reach For the Top marathon. The Tagwi Secondary battle of 1989 is a personal favourite.

Can't wait for tomorrow. What happens if a REAL emergency occurs during the test? Will they interrupt the test with an actual alert broadcast? Wouldn't that confuse the public, causing most people to ignore the legitimate warning?

Hoping all goes well tomorrow.

September 20, 2016 7:35 pm  #3

Fjiri wrote:

Hey Miker,

Big fan! Every third weekend of May, I gather with my closest family members for a Reach For the Top marathon. The Tagwi Secondary battle of 1989 is a personal favourite.

Can't wait for tomorrow. What happens if a REAL emergency occurs during the test? Will they interrupt the test with an actual alert broadcast? Wouldn't that confuse the public, causing most people to ignore the legitimate warning?

Hoping all goes well tomorrow.

Thanks Ry....err Fjiri.  When I worked at 'RB they had a sounder and another newscaster interrupt you in the middle of a story.  Didn't last long...newsroom was pissed.  Part of that 1977 mentality of "as you heard first on WOLD radio".   See you at work tomorrow Fjiri.

Last edited by Miker (September 20, 2016 7:36 pm)

September 20, 2016 7:39 pm  #4

Blackball!! Blackball!! Blaaaaaaccckkkkk Ball!!!!

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 20, 2016 7:42 pm  #5

ig wrote:

Blackball!! Blackball!! Blaaaaaaccckkkkk Ball!!!!

Jesus brother, I forgot about the newsroom "code word"!  Good times!

September 20, 2016 9:18 pm  #6

Miker wrote:

Not me. I'll have an on-air feed, take it live and then host a panel with six in-studio guests talking over each other.

Could you do this a la the C2C spoof you did so very, very well back in March? or was it April?   Hhhmmm....  let me think a moment... the memory hasn't been the same since I saw the alien space craft and was taken aboard for... for... for.... uhmm.... lets say, further testing.

p.s. I'm accessing this part of the interweb via your favourite browser... Firefox....

September 21, 2016 8:13 am  #7

I believe Drake has sampled the alert for his upcoming single buzz saw. A collaboration with Barbara Hall.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 21, 2016 11:06 am  #8

Well, at least this one happened on time and you could understand the voice. 

I was always under the impression this test was province-wide - or at least within the GTA.

Apparently not.

I was in the car while this was going on, just pulling into my garage, so I started tuning around. All the Toronto stations were taken over but the ones I heard in and around T.O. - including Jewel 88.5 and CKGE-FM (aka the Rock) at 94.9 from Oshawa - were all uninterrupted.

You'd think if there were an emergency in one part of the GTA, all the stations would get the announcement.  

Last edited by RadioActive (September 21, 2016 11:07 am)

September 21, 2016 12:48 pm  #9

Out of curiousity, how well did the alert system work a week and a half ago with the storm system that rolled through Prince Edward County and other parts of South Eastern Ontario on the evening of September 10th?

Environment Canada had 17 various alerts and warnings issued. Straight line winds, a water spout over Lake Ontario, and tornado that touched down in Bloomfield / Picton (The tornado was later confirmed by Environment Canada as an EF-0).

Thankfully, there were no reports of injuries.

Just wondering....

September 21, 2016 3:19 pm  #10

Was in the area at the time and heard it; it worked well. They'd made some voice improvements already, and today's test sounded even better.

September 21, 2016 3:20 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Well, at least this one happened on time and you could understand the voice. 

I was always under the impression this test was province-wide - or at least within the GTA.

Apparently not.

I was in the car while this was going on, just pulling into my garage, so I started tuning around. All the Toronto stations were taken over but the ones I heard in and around T.O. - including Jewel 88.5 and CKGE-FM (aka the Rock) at 94.9 from Oshawa - were all uninterrupted.

You'd think if there were an emergency in one part of the GTA, all the stations would get the announcement.  

It was province-wide, or was supposed to be anyway. Guessing something went technically wrong with those stations.

September 22, 2016 11:58 am  #12

The CRTC has put out what appears to be a completely unnecessary "interactive" map of all the AM, FM and TV stations in Canada that air the emergency alerts. I'm not quite sure what the point of it is, but if you want to see it, here's the link. (It can be viewed by station, area, or band.)

By the way, I never thought about this before, but I notice that CJBC is on the list. Do the alerts that air in Ontario also come in French? Never thought to tune in during a test and find out. If not, you'd think someone would complain (because someone ALWAYS complains.)

I have tried CHIN during one of them, and despite that station being almost 99% non-English, that's the only language the alerts are in.