sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 18, 2016 10:03 pm  #1

Legendary Broadcaster Back On Legendary Station

I know this won’t appeal to everyone here, but it’s worth mentioning for those who remember him.  

I was walking the dog at 9 PM Sunday night and looking for something to listen to. And that’s when I stumbled on two familiar voices – Buffalo’s own Joey Reynolds and Sirius XM’s "60s at 6" Cousin Brucie. Apparently, the former is back on Sunday nights on WABC, doing a form of his old WOR all night show as a paid program. (It's so new that as of this posting, it's still not listed on the station's website.)

It turns out it was his first time back on the radio in New York in several years. And Bruce Morrow returned to the 770 frequency as his first guest. It was a terrific radio reunion, with Brucie relating how he wound up on satellite – and before that, why he left WABC to go across the dial to WNBC. All in all, a wonderful meshing of past and present.

A later guest was "Big" Jay Sorenson, Reynolds’ announcer on his digital TV show (seen locally in New York only) and the former host of WNBC’s equally legendary “Time Machine” all night show, one of the best radio format re-creations to ever grace the airwaves.

Some other highlights on the hour long show - his famous theme song sung by the Four Seasons and a brief excerpt from "Rats in my Room," the novelty Top 40 hit he did with fellow former KB morning man Danny Neavereth. 

Apparently, Reynolds return is meant to last for at least a year, with plans to also eventually air it on the Cumulus station in L.A. and in syndication. 

Last edited by RadioActive (September 18, 2016 10:15 pm)

September 19, 2016 12:20 am  #2

Re: Legendary Broadcaster Back On Legendary Station

That sounds like it was fun.  I'll have to try and listen next week

I remember listening to Cousin Brucie on SiriusXM a few years when my wife and I were dining at a Burger King.  I had to explain to my wife why I was paying such rapt attention to the "background music".  At that point, I understood what the fuss was all about.

And no posting about "Rats in my Room" would be complete without the original by Leona Anderson from the album "Music to Suffer by"

With everlasting thanks to David Lennick, wherever you are.

Last edited by Peter the K (September 19, 2016 12:22 am)