sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2016 11:47 am  #1

Thank God DAB Failed In Canada

Most of us never got the chance to experience the so-called magic that was Digital Audio Broadcasting, a transmission form that cost the CHUM Group and other proponents a small fortune. It ultimately went nowhere, because no one had a radio that could receive it – or wanted to spend the money for the “privilege” of listening to more of the same. Even its proverbial successor, HD Radio, has made only small inroads in Canada, although it’s far more advanced in the U.S. – and still not really a factor down there.

I mention all this because we may have dodged a big bullet if two coincidental stories that appeared on Monday are any indication. The first is from Norway, which has decided to become the first country on earth to completely shut down ALL its analog broadcasters within the coming year, switching everything to DAB.

The conversion begins in 2017 and as you can imagine, it's been met with howls of protest from broadcasters (who have to pay the money for new equipment) and listeners (who also have to buy new gear to get it.) Just as bad, Europe is so interconnected, that if they take all the FM receivers out of cars in that country – which is the plan – then anyone driving to a neighbouring nation will suddenly be hearing the sounds of silence when they get where they’re going, since the old FM standard will still be in use there.

DAB critics slam radio revolution

The other tale comes from Hong Kong, where one of the major broadcasters there has officially turned in its digital licence, saying they’ve realized after investing massive amounts of bucks into a system nobody ever asked for, it’s doomed to failure.

As another Hong Kong broadcaster gives up on digital radio, when will the trigger finally be pulled on this idea?

Meanwhile, in the U.K., the government there plans to migrate all AM & FM services to digital by 2019, leaving many up in arms.  

All I can say is thank God it failed here. This thing is a cluster-you-know-what waiting to happen. I’m just grateful that it won’t happen here. 

Last edited by RadioActive (September 12, 2016 12:53 pm)

September 12, 2016 12:21 pm  #2

Re: Thank God DAB Failed In Canada

DAB and HD radio are completely different animals, and I would argue some markets are seeing steady ratings growth on their HD stations in the USA.    Unlike in Canada, the US has been pushing unique content on their HD signals, (mostly a national feed or keeping an old format alive that left the main analog airwaves.

In Canada the options outside of a few broadcasters offer exactly the same that they can get now by rebroadcasting an analog signal on HD.     No one will pay extra to get a radio to get the same content.   As more newer cars make it on the roads, and broadcasters expand their options for HD channels, I think you will see a lot more acceptance of the HD signals.   The growth will be slow, but it is steady enough to spend the smaller amount for transmitter upgrades to make it work.   DAB involved a much more high cost approach, with totally new radios and transmitters, where HD can be retro fitted in most cases.

Build it, promote it, provide the content, get the radios in cars from the factory, and you will slowly see interest. 

In my view, Internet streaming in cars will never happen unless unlimited data comes from major mobile providers.... and that's very unlikely. 

Last edited by radiokid (September 12, 2016 12:27 pm)

September 12, 2016 12:42 pm  #3

Re: Thank God DAB Failed In Canada

Don't forget that back in 1995 there were a lot more AM stations playing music.
By going DAB, it was supposed to make the music more listenable and enjoyable.
However, by October, stations like AM 640 saw that talk radio was the way to go.
The remaining AM music stations might have also argued that the classics sound better in mono
anyway. (?)

One thing that remains true is that radio ads spared no expense.
They even splurged to have famous people in their ads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWbLlvWkwP8 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.