sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2016 9:23 am  #1

There comes a time when...it's time to hang 'em' up.

Not counting family situations or health issues...but strictly from a professional point of view...When is the right time to call an end to the proceedings and walk away from the control board?

I have to tell you...it's still a thrill to turn the mic on and do my thing... ... ...but.  I'll be into year 45 of gettin' paid to do this in a matter of days.  50 WAS a goal at 1 point but I wonder.  50 doesn't seem important at all these days.  The alarm clock is becoming my enemy.  Is it time to cash in my chips and ride off into the 'groove yard'?

When do you know that you won't regret waving goodbye?

September 8, 2016 2:01 pm  #2

Re: There comes a time when...it's time to hang 'em' up.

Depends...

September 8, 2016 2:24 pm  #3

I'm 70 and put in 55 years in Radio and TV but still do voice work for a very select few clients, enough to work 2 days a week but on my time schedule.
I like to keep my hand (voice) in and still do consulting for a few internet broadcasters, studio design (some still want to do it "old school" with a board, cds, turntables, tapes, etc.)  while others are content with a laptop.
And I do occasional engineering work because there are fewer and fewer techs today who know much about AM transmitters.
I'd get bored if I completely stopped working.
And computers have made it so much easier to do long distance work.

Last edited by Mike Cleaver (September 8, 2016 2:25 pm)

September 8, 2016 3:19 pm  #4

Makes sense Mike.  Perhaps when the time comes I can arrange to do a couple of things...although on a smaller scale than what you're doing.

Unc...makes a succinct point as well.   Maybe I could 'go' international and become 'transincontinental'.

September 8, 2016 4:28 pm  #5

Thanks OC !!

But in all seriousness I've seen the names of two of my public school classmates in the local newspaper in the past two weeks and I don't have to tell you that both where in the obits column.

Health over wealth....particularly at our age...keep fit and have a sunny disposition...

That's the starter kit...

Old Codger I think you're going to live to be a hundred !!!!

September 10, 2016 7:12 pm  #6

I hung 'em up 10 days ago.
There were a lot of reasons.  One was the utter disgust I have with the radio news biz in general, with journalism in many places being sacrificed for shill and promotion. It's not what I signed up for four decades ago, and not an industry I wanted to be part of anymore.
Another reason -  I'm lazy.  I didn't want to work, I wanted to bang on de drum all day.  

September 10, 2016 8:23 pm  #7

The news biz has been in the corporate toilet for more than a decade now.
Few experienced reporters, writers or broadcasters.
No support staff, no proof readers or editors.
Now it's government "news" releases and corporate shilling (see Apple.)
Stolen YouTube videos on TV "news" shows, shilling for the corporations "other" products, entertainment crap, useless "crappy talk" between anchors, most of whom appear to never have read anything other than gossip magazines.
Radio is even worse, no newscasts, just inexperienced morning show hosts giggling over the latest "celebrity" bullshit.
And "news"papers, what's left of them, using syndicated crap, produced offshore, along with ads for tug and rub salons, used car crooks, etc.
There are a few bright spots but they're few and far between and are becoming even more scarce every day.

September 10, 2016 9:51 pm  #8

It's why I ALWAYS come down hard and rude with 'talk' radio.  Really?  Who cares?  Neither the host nor the buffoons who call in have anything to say that's worth a tiny tinkers damn.  Yet on they drone...each and every gawd-forsaken day...now ALL day...and ALL night.

And what do we get for all of this with the OH-SO occasional good that it might accidentally do from time to time?

Donald Trump and assorted dick-heads of THAT ilk...propped up by controversial gum-drops who will never have to face the music for the damage that they cause.

News?  What news.

September 11, 2016 7:31 am  #9

Mike Cleaver wrote:

There are a few bright spots

Exactly, so on a slow "real" news day, just move on.     Bright spots within SOWNY's listening area include [names deleted to avoid bruising sensitive egos]

k.

September 11, 2016 7:45 am  #10

If you don't like it, you should get out.   Life's too short to not enjoy doing what you're doing at any given moment.  I've in radio since my teens, and still love it every day.   Radio has been good to me.   It's not perfect, but the reality is - it never has been.   The day it stops being fun.... I'll do something else.