sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2016 9:36 am  #1

AM640’s Jeff McArthur Needs A Lawyer

He either needs a lawyer or at least a good lecture from someone with legal knowledge. Here’s why.

On his Tuesday show, the AM640 early afternoon host decided to do a segment on the infamous “crossbow killings” that caught the world’s attention last week. It’s a high interest story and there’s nothing wrong with addressing it.

Unless, that is, you decide to convict the accused multiple times on the radio. Anyone who’s ever worked in news knows that the word “alleged” is your best friend. It covers you from convicting someone who’s only accused of a crime but hasn’t yet had a trial to determine guilt.

Yet over and over and over again, McArthur, his guest and callers convicted the accused on air. “The killer here has killed his mother and his two brothers,” he intoned. (These are direct quotes, taken from the podcast.) No, actually he hasn’t been proven guilty of that yet.

He then introduced Dr. Oren Amitay, a psychologist, who seems to be a media friendly go-to guest for both CFRB and CFMJ. “I have not assessed this gentleman,” the doc says at one point during the interview. “But the murderer could be psychopathic.” Again, the reference to “this gentleman” leads to the conclusion he did it. Who needs a jury or evidence? He’s done. McArthur then branches off into some ludicrous “Oedipus complex” excuse, which the guest does his best to explain.

Later in the segment (not included in the online offering) McArthur openly wonders how, given his criminal past, the accused was able to buy a crossbow. Here we go again. There’s been no evidence presented by the police or the Crown that the suspect in this case actually purchased anything. Anyone could have bought it. Until that's established, you can’t legally state that conclusion on the air.

Then a caller doubles down. “He didn’t actually fire the crossbow,” the listener reminds. “He stabbed them with the arrows, but there’s no proof he fired it from the weapon.” McArthur’s response, “That’s a good point.”

Two big problems here. First, they just convicted him again of killing his mother and brothers, without benefit of a trial. Second, the revelation about the causes of death had been released some two hours before this segment aired in breaking news. Why didn’t McArthur know about it by then?

Bad as it was, they made it worse by airing it a second time in their reroll segment that same night and then posting it online.

I know some here will think I’m overreacting to this, but this is not a small thing. I spent almost 40 years in news, and have been sent to countless legal seminars. The one thing they stressed every time is don’t convict someone until a judge or jury pronounces it legally. If for some reason this guy gets off, he could sue Corus for a lot of money over something as simple as this. I have a friend who produces a local Toronto TV newscast, who actually loses sleep over this very scenario and takes pains every day to make sure his writers avoid this trap at all costs. 

Perhaps McArthur should sit down privately with Lorne Honickman so this doesn’t happen again. If, allegedly, it ever does.

Why would the crossbow killer kill his own family? with Dr Oren Amitay

Last edited by RadioActive (August 31, 2016 9:40 am)

August 31, 2016 9:42 am  #2

Re: AM640’s Jeff McArthur Needs A Lawyer

Good one, but the intent is he needs to talk to someone with legal knowledge to lay down the law (you should pardon the expression) so he doesn't leave Corus - and himself - liable for what could be some serious financial peril.  

Last edited by RadioActive (August 31, 2016 9:51 am)

August 31, 2016 11:40 am  #3

To be honest, I stopped listening to 640 a while ago, because on many shows it seems they don't fact check, just give half the truth and/or make it up as they go.    On many occasions during the morning show I have noticed this, and I had to stop listening and go back to the others.   Talk and opinion is fine... just make sure your facts when they are available are accurate.  That's all I ask.

Last edited by radiokid (August 31, 2016 11:41 am)

August 31, 2016 12:05 pm  #4

I find this interesting in that I was always taught that the word alleged is no protection from legal problems.  Instead there are many different ways to write the story or speak about it, such as "he was charged in connection with, or is the suspect in the.."     
The other thing I have found interesting lately is the phrase "has not been proven in court" which seems to be used far more frequently these days.  This does not seem necessary if someone has only been arrested or charged and that is in the body of the story.   

August 31, 2016 3:34 pm  #5

radiokid wrote:

To be honest, I stopped listening to 640 a while ago, because on many shows it seems they don't fact check, just give half the truth and/or make it up as they go.    On many occasions during the morning show I have noticed this, and I had to stop listening and go back to the others.   Talk and opinion is fine... just make sure your facts when they are available are accurate.  That's all I ask.

It's talk radio, not the CBS Evening news.  Hosts make up emails to get a topic going.  There's far more exposure
legally with libel than not using "alleged" when you're discussing a dude arrested at the scene covered with more
blood than Carrie at the prom.

August 31, 2016 4:24 pm  #6

Miker wrote:

It's talk radio, not the CBS Evening news. Hosts make up emails to get a topic going. There's far more exposure legally with libel than not using "alleged" when you're discussing a dude arrested at the scene covered with more blood than Carrie at the prom 

If that's the case Mr. S., then perhaps you can tell us why the podcast of this segment has suddenly disappeared from the 640 website? My guess is the legal department realized it could be dangerous and decided that discretion was the better part of valour. If the way it was handled was just a host making up an angle to get a topic going, then it should still be online. I know you hate this kind of stuff, and I believe you're a lot more careful on your show, but unfortunately, we live in an overly litigious society where someone will sue you if you sneeze the wrong way on air. So like it or not, this stuff matters. 

640 podcast page: Clip unavailableThe clip does not exist or may be private

Last edited by RadioActive (August 31, 2016 4:27 pm)

August 31, 2016 4:54 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Miker wrote:

It's talk radio, not the CBS Evening news. Hosts make up emails to get a topic going. There's far more exposure legally with libel than not using "alleged" when you're discussing a dude arrested at the scene covered with more blood than Carrie at the prom 

If that's the case Mr. S., then perhaps you can tell us why the podcast of this segment has suddenly disappeared from the 640 website? My guess is the legal department realized it could be dangerous and decided that discretion was the better part of valour. If the way it was handled was just a host making up an angle to get a topic going, then it should still be online. I know you hate this kind of stuff, and I believe you're a lot more careful on your show, but unfortunately, we live in an overly litigious society where someone will sue you if you sneeze the wrong way on air. So like it or not, this stuff matters. 

640 podcast page: Clip unavailableThe clip does not exist or may be private

I highly doubt it was removed by order of legal on the last day of fiscal.  There are bigger fish to fry on Dockside.
I always use alleged because I did news for 15 years.  Today's hosts are often producers pulled from the hallway and put in front of a mic.  680 and CTV bingo-callers use the term "the Six" when nobody over the age of 20
does.  CP 24's graphics are written and spelled at a grade four level.  The CP rule book from 1980 doesn't
apply anymore.....even at Canadian Press.

Last edited by Miker (August 31, 2016 4:55 pm)

August 31, 2016 6:52 pm  #8

Jeff McArthur must stop wearing that Chicago Black Hawks sweater if he expects to survive in Peel Region

August 31, 2016 7:11 pm  #9

Just be like Fox...and...at some point...refrain from stalking women and sexually harassing them.  After that?  Just spew.  MAYBE the audience really is that stupid.  You would have to be to listen to talk radio to begin with.  Those that CAN...do.  Those that CAN'T teach...or host talk radio.

That's the R U L E.

In order for there to be a "R U L E"...there MUST be an exception to the R U L E.

OK...Mike Stafford. Thank 'Kryste'.  'Because after that?  There's absolutely NO ONE.  Not a living soul.
----------------------------------------------

This, of course, doesn't INCLUDE sports-talk.  McCown and Hayes are exceptional.  The rest?  Teachers.

Last edited by Old Codger (August 31, 2016 7:13 pm)

August 31, 2016 10:43 pm  #10

Old Codger wrote:

Just be like Fox...and...at some point...refrain from stalking women and sexually harassing them.  After that?  Just spew.  MAYBE the audience really is that stupid.  You would have to be to listen to talk radio to begin with.

Old, C O L D Codger, are you including "enlightened" CBC... Aka Corrupt Bloated Corporation... listeners in that bunch as well? Much of CBC Radio One's programming is TALK... radio.

Or are THEY yet A N O T H E R 'exception' to THE rule? You seem to have a lot of those...

You mention McCown as being one of those that CAN, and therefore DO. I have seen some commenters in the online realm argue that over the last few years, he hasn't really DONE much of anything on his show, is mailing it in, and should therefore... teach... Or, by your logic, continue to host talk radio.

September 1, 2016 6:22 am  #11

Maybe of late Bob isn't doing what he used to do ... 'cause he sure used to deliver thr goods regularly.  But, if that's the case, I'll cut him a break based on his body of work.  It may well be that he's winding it all down?

No...CBC listeners are an entirely different breed.  Just ask them.

September 1, 2016 7:57 am  #12

Old Codger wrote:

No...CBC listeners are an entirely different breed.  Just ask them.

No need to ask. Much like vegans and crossfitters, they'll gladly tell YOU.

Last edited by BoredOp (September 1, 2016 7:58 am)

September 1, 2016 1:15 pm  #13

grilled.cheese wrote:

CBC should have never cancelled Mr. Dressup.  

or The Friendly Giant.

September 1, 2016 11:16 pm  #14

Jeff asked for the time off because of his "gaff" last Sunday afternoon, having looked into the Guardian of Tomorrow time portal and seeing he was going to convict an innocent man on the following Tuesday.  Yes, that happened.  FFS people.

Last edited by Miker (September 1, 2016 11:18 pm)