sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 18, 2016 10:54 am  #1

Radio Legend Doug Thompson Wants Your Old Reel-To-Reel Tapes

There’s an article on FYIMusic.ca Thursday featuring an interview with legendary radio producer (and sometime SOWNY poster) Doug Thompson about his efforts (along with Duff Roman, another Canadian radio icon) to finally start a Canadian broadcasting museum.

It’s long been one of my pet peeves that stations, especially those whose ownership has changed over the years, simply throw out their past, historically valuable moments that are forever lost in an effort to clear shelf space.

And that’s why Mr. Thompson has put out the request for any old Canadian radio reels, cassettes, memorabilia, printed material, airchecks, mics or other goodies you might have hanging around but have no idea what to do with. I’m going to check my archives and see what I might be able to offer them and the good news is that when the “Aireum,” as it will be called, finally gets its financial legs under it, much of the stuff they’ve collected will be going online for anyone to access free of charge.

There’s some contact info at the bottom of the story, but this is a long overdue effort to preserve something many of us have spent our lives putting together, only to see it otherwise fly off into space and never heard again.

I hope he makes it happen. If you’re interested, you can read more about his efforts at the link.

New Virtual Museum Strives To Protect Our Broadcasting History

August 18, 2016 7:37 pm  #2

Re: Radio Legend Doug Thompson Wants Your Old Reel-To-Reel Tapes

Actually, the Canadian Broadcast Museum Foundation has been around since 2001.  The late Bob Laine, Canadian Broadcast Industry Hall of Famer, joined the board and eventually became Chairman.  Bob asked me to come aboard in 2008.  

If you have broadcast artifacts in your closet, crawlspace, attic or basement and want to donate it or them to the museum, we would LOVE to preserve it. 

It really is important to save this material.  So much has been lost and frankly, the big boys don't really care about any of it.  

Thanks.

August 19, 2016 12:25 am  #3

This from Marc Miller who worked on air at WBCN in the late 70's. The dumpster incident he's talking about must have happened in 2009 as that is when the station went kaput: I think the museum is a great idea and well like the Kinks sang long ago. The Village Green Preservation Society. Much more than nostalgia for the good old days. PRESERVATION !

"I was talking to Lisa Traxler a few weeks ago and she told me that when BCN went off the air, somehow all of the tapes of broadcasts, going back to the early '70s, got thrown into a dumpster and destroyed. ALL OF THEM! So now it's up to collectors who recorded them to get them into circulation." 

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 19, 2016 7:28 am  #4

About 8 or 10 years ago, tons of tapes, audio and video  from CHUM, and very early Much Music were shipped from Toronto to Barrie to be stored in the basement of what is now CTV Barrie.  I visited the library at the time and was shocked by how much was there.  Unbelievable stuff that at the time was just sitting on shelves.   None of it logged in any way.   The stuff there is a goldmine of material and well worth checking out if it is still there.

August 19, 2016 10:47 am  #5

Actually, I was the guy who had all of that material packed up thanks to a couple of Seneca students who needed the intern hours for graduation.  We had digitized most of the tapes anyway and had no other physical place to store them.

The rest of the CHUM Archives are alive and well.