sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 16, 2016 3:28 pm  #1

DAWG FM

Rumors that Dawg in Ottawa is getting set to flip, some staff gone and some new hired. Any insider info on possible format?
They recently were granted cat 2 and don't have the heavy cat 3 content to make anymore...think they'll go some form of rock and try to force CHEZ to make a choice between classic and mainstream?

Talk to the hand!

August 16, 2016 5:31 pm  #2

Re: DAWG FM

That's interesting.   Who will flip first.   CHUM's CKKL 93.9 country to some form of rock or DAWG?

August 16, 2016 6:13 pm  #3

CKKL isn't flipping.

August 16, 2016 7:04 pm  #4

Dawg is changing frequency Friday at 7pm moving to 101.7 and increasing the power. Format flip will likely occur then

August 16, 2016 7:37 pm  #5

Dawg. Money was paid for that name. Amazing.

August 17, 2016 11:27 am  #6

The word I'm hearing is rock or contemporary hits. Torres owns small town CHR stations in Uxbridge and Quebec. Might just try the same thing.

August 17, 2016 12:16 pm  #7

What does it take to win when you're the little guy in a big market?

1.   Outstanding program.   As in "something uniquely different" not "just the same" on a different channel.
2.   Outstanding buzz.   As in "something people will talk about"
3.   Incredible marketing so people can experience #1 and #2.

Finally, patience and commitment to the brand.   It takes a long time to break through.... Hope they can do it.  Oh, and one more... It needs to be something the big guys can't easily copy and cut you off at the knees w/ a bigger signal and more resources.

August 17, 2016 1:56 pm  #8

It takes the hiring of experienced people to properly program and to properly deliver the [buffed and polished] product to the exact audience they ALL collectively  and truly understand..  Stats and charts alone will never allow an upstart to compete 'cause that's the same old worn out blue-print all of these homogenized replicas all stand beside. [y a w n]

Dawg FM?

Radio's been going to the dogs since FM overtook AM.  That's when they stopped thinking and creating and began to chase their own scraggly little tails.  It just keeps going round in circles.

Unique FM is what's needed...if the staff KNOW what they're doing.  Otherwise?  It'll just more dog doo on the radio.

August 17, 2016 6:14 pm  #9

fm4life wrote:

The word I'm hearing is rock or contemporary hits. Torres owns small town CHR stations in Uxbridge and Quebec. Might just try the same thing.

Zero chance of Contemporary Hits. Not with limited resources against Newcap, Rogers, and Corus. Especially if it's true that they've hired Daryl Kornicky. On that signal, with a limited budget, they'll have to go to what they consider to be a largely unfilled format hole. A mainstream or Active Rock, or a flavour of AAA. It's also entirely possible that whatever they program is at the behest of Evanov, likely eventual owners.

August 17, 2016 8:04 pm  #10

Evanov is famously cheap and Torres will refuse to lose money on their most valuable property so that's not exactly conducive to a probable future transaction. But dumber things have happened. I agree that CHR would be a bad play. Too much established competition. As for Korniky, it's possible he might end up back at Bell Media. It's sounds like he's on his way back but that doesn't mean it's with dawg.

August 17, 2016 8:10 pm  #11

Don wrote:

It's also entirely possible that whatever they program is at the behest of Evanov, likely eventual owners.

If Evanov invests in Dawg FM, is there enough of a demand in Ottawa to launch a gay radio station? 
It's one hole Evanov already has experience with here in Toronto...but is it a good idea for Ottawa?
I don't know much about the Gay community in Ottawa, but I do get how a weak signal could perhaps be tweaked to best serve a gay community...

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 17, 2016 8:16 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 17, 2016 8:26 pm  #12

fm4life wrote:

Evanov is famously cheap and Torres will refuse to lose money on their most valuable property so that's not exactly conducive to a probable future transaction. But dumber things have happened. I agree that CHR would be a bad play. Too much established competition. As for Korniky, it's possible he might end up back at Bell Media. It's sounds like he's on his way back but that doesn't mean it's with dawg.

I have no idea of the financials of either, that's true....other than Torres claimed they were now profitable. But if they spend some money on this technical change and some staff without any real results, it could fall apart quickly. And Evanov found the money for a good Newcap stick in Winnipeg.

The only place for Kornicky at Bell would be at CFRA, which is entirely possible.

Last edited by Don (August 17, 2016 8:30 pm)

August 17, 2016 8:29 pm  #13

Radiowiz wrote:

Don wrote:

It's also entirely possible that whatever they program is at the behest of Evanov, likely eventual owners.

If Evanov invests in Dawg FM, is there enough of a demand in Ottawa to launch a gay radio station? 
It's one hole Evanov already has experience with here in Toronto...but is it a good idea for Ottawa?
I don't know much about the Gay community in Ottawa, but I do get how a weak signal could perhaps be tweaked to best serve a gay community...

The problem with "gay" as a format is that it's no more a format than "left-handed", unless you're going to apply tired stereotypes. In Toronto on a tiny unrated signal it makes sense as a PR move, but 101.7 Ottawa has real ratings potential with the right approach.

August 17, 2016 10:56 pm  #14

So 'Wiz' are you suggesting that gay folks all like the same kind of music?  Let's cookie cutter a station for the lgbt community?  They're ALL the same?  Really?  Who knew?

So... ... ...Ya and Blacks only like hip hop and rap.
Left handed people only like left handed singers and violinists.
And those with issues involving their failing sight?  Gawd!!!  Not another Stevie Wonder song!!!  That's 6 this hour.  Thank the lawrd fer Ray Charles.

If only 'they-all'' would STOP programming every friggin' radio station to 30 year old women.  I'm starting to grow breasts.  Which brings us back to the lgbt station.  It's a vicious circle.  "The circle of death"...cue the alter Elton.

Last edited by Old Codger (August 17, 2016 11:01 pm)

August 17, 2016 11:58 pm  #15

Old Codger wrote:

So 'Wiz' are you suggesting that gay folks all like the same kind of music?  

Currently I'm suggesting Don has a good point about the Ottawa market.
As for your comment, maybe not all gay folk like the same Evanov style of music, but indeed just enough.
In the highly unlikely event that it becomes doable, Evanov will most likely try for a fresh new (weak) Ottawa frequency.

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 18, 2016 3:31 am)

August 18, 2016 7:50 am  #16

brian451 wrote:

Dawg is changing frequency Friday at 7pm moving to 101.7 and increasing the power. Format flip will likely occur then

I found this posting on the CHIP FM web site [the station Dawg is flipping frequency with]:
CHIP frequency change delayed by one week
"The frequency change for CHIP radio originally scheduled for the Friday August 19 at 7PM has been delayed by one week. The new date for the change is now August 26 at 7PM. This delay has been ordered by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, our national broadcast regulator.  
Given the change in schedule, station management has announced that the additional bingo prize worth 200$ set to be handed out next Monday August 22, will also be awarded after the frequency change on August 29."

So this will likely impact Dawg too.

Also, the power increased is delayed. Torres can not move to the new site so they are just changing frequency and staying at their current site for now.

August 18, 2016 8:48 am  #17

Old Codger wrote:

If only 'they-all'' would STOP programming every friggin' radio station to 30 year old women.  I'm starting to grow breasts. 

That's as funny as it is true! But it's a hard fad not to follow. Right, Jump FM/Country 94? But the funny thing with that is both flips have had success. Large success? maybe not but they are holding their own which in a market as fragmented as Ottawa is all most can do... unless you're Hot 89.9/ Chez 106. Of course, a bear-like station entering the market should have some effect on chez/live. chez has much more to lose out of the two.

August 18, 2016 11:01 am  #18

Building a station that's designed to steal market share from a more highly-rated station is, to me, like deliberately aiming to be an also-ran.  Sure, somebody could get a new stick in Toronto and steal market share from CHFI with the city's seventeenth Hot AC station, but why be one of a bunch when you could be one of one?

The earlier comment was correct: With the right format, they could very quickly become one of the dominant stations in the market.

August 18, 2016 11:22 pm  #19

Neil Hedley wrote:

Building a station that's designed to steal market share from a more highly-rated station is, to me, like deliberately aiming to be an also-ran.

True... it didn't work for the ill fated EZ Rock Ottawa. 

August 19, 2016 7:41 am  #20

Sunny wrote:

Neil Hedley wrote:

Building a station that's designed to steal market share from a more highly-rated station is, to me, like deliberately aiming to be an also-ran.

The majority of Hot listeners also did not "jump". 
(Corus is most likely happy to have what they have now rather than have former bear ratings though.)

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 19, 2016 7:44 am)

August 19, 2016 10:13 am  #21

Sunny wrote:

Neil Hedley wrote:

Bingo.

August 19, 2016 10:15 am  #22

Crap!  Wish I'd said that .

Sunny wrote:

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 25, 2016 12:34 pm  #24

August 25, 2016 12:39 pm  #25

And drinking from the BIG bowl?

Woof f.m. 

Stoop and scoop.

August 25, 2016 1:07 pm  #26

Old Codger wrote:

And drinking from the BIG bowl?

Woof f.m. 

Stoop and scoop.

While I do like the idea of a barking noise in between rock tunes, or even an animal sound effect of any sort myself,
Rebel sounds to me like they've done a lot of research and they want to be taken seriously.

August 25, 2016 1:33 pm  #27

Too late.  Cookie cutters are preparatory implements for little girls' Easy Bake ovens.

AND guess what?...you can't listen to the damm station in any kind of vehicle 'cause it'll stop at every g-d'd hydro pole and tree.  So they sniffed around for the idea...courtesy of some other dawg...THAT just ain't a purdy sight.

But at least we know why they'll lick themselves.  Because they can.

Last edited by Old Codger (August 25, 2016 1:34 pm)

August 25, 2016 2:50 pm  #28

Old Codger wrote:

AND guess what?...you can't listen to the damm station in any kind of vehicle 'cause it'll stop at every g-d'd hydro pole and tree.  So they sniffed around for the idea...courtesy of some other dawg...THAT just ain't a purdy sight.

Are you saying that 101.5 Fox FM will suddenly kick in loud and clear in Ottawa??? 

August 25, 2016 7:16 pm  #29

Are they modeling after these guys? 
If so,
How convenient that there's a dog with the collar off and in his mouth! lol 

http://www.rebelfm.com.au/

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 25, 2016 7:17 pm)

August 26, 2016 5:21 pm  #30

The frequency swap has been delayed for a few days according to both CIDG and CHIP FM
http://chipfm.com/web2/news.php
http://rebel1017.com/

No reason is given. Never the less Rebel 101 "7" launches tonight, 7 PM at 101.9

Last edited by andysradio (August 26, 2016 5:29 pm)