sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 24, 2016 12:52 pm  #1

Is a CRTC bloodbath underway? Shoan Shown the Door..

[Via G&M]

CRTC commissioner departs after more than a year of legal battles

Raj Shoan is no longer a commissioner at Canada’s telecom and broadcast regulator after more than a year of legal battles that have revealed deep tensions at the commission.

The federal cabinet has issued an order in council that relates to Mr. Shoan, a spokesman for the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) confirmed on Thursday evening.

Mr. Shoan’s CRTC e-mail address is not active anymore and a source with knowledge of the situation said he is no longer a commissioner. Reached late on Thursday, Mr. Shoan declined to comment on the order, but said he would issue a statement on Friday. The order had not been posted online as of Thursday night.

Mr. Shoan has clashed with Jean-Pierre Blais, the chairman of the CRTC, on multiple occasions and their animosity has spilled into the courts, with Mr. Shoan filing three separate legal actions challenging the chair’s authority and the commission’s processes.

Documents filed in the cases have revealed unpleasant office politics and dysfunction at the federal regulator. Multiple commissioners and the chairman himself have referred to the working environment as “toxic” or “hostile,” but disagree on who is to blame. The federal government appointed Mr. Shoan, 40, to a five-year term as commissioner for Ontario in 2013.

According to the rules for federal appointments, CRTC appointees can only be removed “for cause” by an order of the federal cabinet.

More...

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 24, 2016 1:49 pm  #2

Re: Is a CRTC bloodbath underway? Shoan Shown the Door..

Where/how would one apply for this recent opening?

June 24, 2016 1:58 pm  #3

BoredOp wrote:

Where/how would one apply for this recent opening?

Who do you know in Ottawa who owes you a favour?

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

May 1, 2017 10:24 am  #4

This story goes back even farther than the Super Bowl simsub debacle, and it's returned again, this time with a surprise ending. 

Controversial CRTC Commissioner Raj Shoan is apparently getting his job back, after being fired for a host of reasons 10 months ago. The ruling came from a federal court judge late last week, who decided he didn't get a fair hearing.

Shoan has been a thorn in the side of CRTC head JP Blais for a while, even going so far as to publicly issue dissenting opinions on major decisions while laying down allegations of racial discrimination against him. On the other side, he's been accused of harassment on multiple occasions and clearly is not well liked by his co-workers.  
Whatever the issues, wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall when Shoan takes his seat back as the Ontario rep for the Commission, after all that bad blood passing between him and several others on the board? I might pay to watch that first meeting. And as a bonus for the CRTC, it would be all Canadian content.

Ex-CRTC commissioner claims victory following Federal Court ruling 

May 8, 2017 9:44 am  #5

Well, that was fast. Controversial, fired and then rehired CRTC Commissioner Raj Shoan has been let go again, just days after he was reinstated by a court, and tried to take back his Ontario seat.

Ontario CRTC commissioner refired days after being reinstated

What a soap opera. The CRTC is short of several bodies and is in a real upheaval, even as its chair, JP Blais, gets ready to end his term this summer. That's led to this blistering column about the mess the regulator is in from journalist David Farrell on his FYImusicnews site:

What The Blais Is Going On At The CRTC?

May 8, 2017 4:45 pm  #6

I'd take that open spot on the CRTC...but I can't find a way to actually get an e-mail in to Justin.  I know him you see.  But I didn't stay in touch.  I'll e-mail my former MP...he'll set me up.  Time to set the CRTC back on proper tracks 'cause it's become a great big steaming pile of fly attracting PIG-shit as far as I'm concerned.