sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 4, 2016 11:55 am  #1

Ft. McMurray Radio Staffs Forced To Flee Fire, Leaving Dead Air Behind

The terrible events in Fort McMurray, Alberta – which is essentially burning down – would normally be an amazing opportunity for the local media there to strut its stuff. Unfortunately, most of the stations have shut down as employees join the thousands fleeing the danger.

I tried to find out what they were live streaming but there are only two stations with an actual output – and both (Rogers' CKYX and CJOK) are simply simulcasting 660 News from Calgary.

Another –Harvard Broadcasting's Mix 103.7 (CFVR) has this message on its live stream:

“Mix 103.7 is currently off air and is unable to broadcast live updates. We will, however, be updating our Facebook Page and Twitter regularly…Stay strong.”

One of its reporters posted a final story about how weird it feels to flee the station, as the fire inexorably approaches the studios. It’s an emotional portrait of a guy torn between serving his community and saving his own life.

What it’s like to leave the microphone behind

Co-owned CRUZ FM (CHFT)’s live stream is completely dead, but its morning show personality used the station’s Facebook page to ask about his missing co-host.

A message to Leanne

[Edit: Both of the above stations have since updated their live stream messages and they now redirect would-be listeners to their Edmonton outlets.]

I’ve only had one scare in my time in broadcasting, and it was a bomb threat that forced a temporary evacuation of the station. But it was never noticed on air and it was nothing like this. I feel a lot of sympathy for the media guys and gals that called Ft. McMurray home. Given the reports emanating from the city, there are no guarantees there will be any place left for them to come back to.

Last edited by RadioActive (May 4, 2016 12:33 pm)