sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2016 2:14 pm  #1

Tell Me About Your Best Practical Jokes...

Ever set your newsmans copy on fire...??

Expose yourself while so-and-so was on the air...??

One night...many...oh-so-many years ago I called up an all night d.j. in town and offered him a job in Winnipeg I think...

He would put me on hold between records and then come back and we'd discuss his future employment...

All b,s, of course....but I was having a great time....poor bastard...

Another time my d.j. had a stripper come into the booth and sit on my lap during a newscast....

Jolly god fun....

Tell me about one or many of the better industry related pranks and jokes that you know about...

Last edited by unclefester (May 2, 2016 2:14 pm)

May 2, 2016 3:03 pm  #2

Re: Tell Me About Your Best Practical Jokes...

unclefester wrote:

One night...many...oh-so-many years ago I called up an all night d.j. in town and offered him a job in Winnipeg I think

it could have been Wingham

May 2, 2016 3:19 pm  #3

I was in Simcoe when the prod manager came in to the control room.  I was in the middle of reading grain prices between John Jordan's Farm Market News segment (oh yay!).  The production guy walked around the back of the board console, and had his finger conspicuously stuck through his jeans to make it appear he was exposing himself.  He waited for me to look up, and I loudly shrieked on air.  The production guy ran out laughing their heads off at me.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 3, 2016 7:38 am  #4

I was reading a newscast in Peterborough in the late 60's when I heard the booth door creak open behind me. In my peripheral vision I saw one of the station jokesters come up beside me. When I heard the zipper go down I knew what was going to happen, so when he placed his penis on the desk beside me I waited until the next pause between stories...I turned off the mike, made a fist and pounded it. I turned the mike back on and continued with the rest of the newscast. There may have been a little background noise for a few seconds but it was well worth it! He never did it again   

May 3, 2016 10:27 am  #5

This one's pretty tame...maybe even lame....

Worked a morning shift with a d.j.  that I used to listen to when I was ten years of age...

He's still with us...lives about 8 miles from me currently...

He'd been around a long time even back then  so as you might expect he arrived at the station a 2 minutes before 6...did his show prep...i.e. clear his throat and then sat in the chair...making his exit at about 9:01 a.m. lol....

I had an opening 6 a.m. newscast.

So one day I decided to park my car elsewhere and make it appear that I wasn't there...

Newsroom unattended....overnight wire service copy a million miles long on the teletype  etc. etc.

He was in the midst of preparing a newscast but the truth was I was ready to go...revealing myself at about 5:59 a.m.

Last edited by unclefester (May 3, 2016 10:57 am)

May 4, 2016 9:53 pm  #6

I had a guy one time prepare a newscast for me...like he always did...

His shift was over and I was just coming in...

I was so lazy I never bothered to really read it through or even look at it...

The s.o.b. had a story about a hurricane or typhoon or something like that ...

And he typed these two words in that story...."buffeted it".....

Jesus H.....he got me....I never forgot that...

May 5, 2016 7:32 am  #7

A TV sportscaster who had "issues with the bottle" would always prepare his 11:00 'cast right after the 6 and then go out on the town, arriving back at the station just minutes before air time and not exactly sober. Those were the days before teleprompters so he had to rely on his script. Someone thought it would be funny to put multiple staples through all the pages below the top one. As we gathered to watch, the guy launched into his live sportscast and realized what had happened after it was too late... so he continued to ad lib the rest of the sports and then went out for more drinks afterward. He never said anything about it to anyone. It was an incredible back-fire for the jokester!

May 5, 2016 8:31 am  #8

I worked at a place in the early 70s where they kept the teletype in a closet half way between the newsroom and the control room.  Back then we signed off at midnight/2:00 am on the weekend.  The morning guy would get in weekdays around 5:30 to rip and then read the first newscast at 6:00.  The news guy would start for 7:00 am.

So one morning I figured I'd hide in said closet.  I heard Cosmic Bob unlock the front door and into the teletype enclosure I went.  About 4 - 5 minutes later...he opened the door and out, with a mighty roar, I jumped.

That would have been 1973.  Bob is still cleaning up his pants.  We were young then.  Heart attacks?  Not as much of an issue as they might be now.

Last edited by Old Codger (May 5, 2016 8:32 am)