sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2016 11:23 pm  #1

Workmates That Had Issues With The Bottle....

I quit drinking many years ago...

It was a very good idea...and my bride more or less said...QUIT....so I did..

And I'm glad of it....

But one story involving booze and a very well known national news figure has always stayed with  me...

Back in 1977 Via Rail was launching their first "high-speed" train...

I think it was a trip between Kingston and Toronto...

The train would reach one hundred miles an hour and you'd get to interview the head honcho from Via Rail...

Pretty good p.r. for Via and a nice story for the people of the nation...

There was one C.B.C. television news reporter...a national correspondent on the trip who was absolutely stark raving drunk.

He was working...but everyone could tell he was loud and boisterous for a reason...drunker than a hoot owl...

But when they lights and camera came on and it was time to do his piece I watched him and ....BINGO....on the straight and narrow....

It shocked the shit out of me...I couldn't understand how he could even function...but he did and the 4 or 5 million viewers that evening of C.B.C.'s   The National   were none the wiser.

The guys been dead for 36 years...died at age 63....I would have guessed  he was much older because he looked it....I've no hesitation in stating he was a raging alcoholic...

The old timers here would certainly remember him and know his name...

Iain...if you're reading this I'll name him with your permission...

Have you ever had a friend, colleague or fellow broadcaster who was a slave to booze ??

And how did things turn out ??

April 27, 2016 1:31 am  #2

Re: Workmates That Had Issues With The Bottle....

I had one fellow employee who scaled the radio heights all the way to the uppermost levels which few have ever achieved in Canada.  Talent?  Oh ya.  The guy was a legend.  And you know what?  He'd give you the shirt off his back if he really thought it would help out.  He knew everybody.  And they knew him.  Only problem?  He even drank while he was working and he couldn't quite manage it.  A wee bit of tipsy was evident a few too many times.  It cost him at least 3 great chances to right the ship.

I don't know when it began...but I saw how it ended professionally speaking.  And not too terribly long after that happened it ended period.  I'd give more detail but that would give it away.  The man helped me out.  He arranged for me to be interviewed by people he knew personally for a good gig south of the 49th.  He was generally gracious and courteous.  Folks tried to help him I know.  But I guess he had 'it' bad.

I allowed one or 2 too many to enter into it for me perhaps 3 or 4 times mid career and then never again.  It was suggested a few years later that maybe I smoked up a bit before shows.  I assured those accusing me that IF I  *E V E R* did THAT that the LAST place I'd want to be would be sitting inside at a blinkin' microphone, hosting a 'show'.  Along the way I had guys far up the corporate ladder whom I discovered [quite accidentally] snortin' frigging lines at work.  THEY weren't impressed that *I* knew.  They should have kept their doors from being opened...especially when I was merely passing by.  THAT ultimately cost me both times.  Paranoid fools.  No doubt now ultra wealthy paranoid fools.

I also had one specific 1/2-assed and way less than talented PD who was just an out and out mega-jerk and then some and a slave to coke to the point where I just had to leave being in the employ of THAT particular enterprise.  He was a pig to work for.  My boozin' buddy, previously mentioned, arranged for the getaway interview south of the border.

I'll take the 'boozer' every time.  He, at least, had a heart...until it ceased to beat.

Last edited by Old Codger (April 27, 2016 2:04 am)

April 27, 2016 3:06 am  #3

you W.C.T.U. supporters are perfect for Oldies AM-1220, where these tunes will never be on the playlist:
 - Beer for My Horses, Toby Keith
 - Bottle of Wine, Jimmy Gilmer & the Fireballs
 - Whiskey on a Sunday, Irish Rovers 

April 27, 2016 4:15 pm  #4

Wow!
Too many to mention.
Started in my first station, stretching all the way to the last.
Some were the most talented people with whom I ever worked and when they were sober, they couldn't be beat.
They were in just about every job in radio and TV from personalities to sales to engineering and support staff.
Many died from abusing the bottle, others from "the other stuff" that you shot up, smoked or inhaled.
Some smartened up and kicked their habits but more never made it.
I could list their names but what's the point?
As I used to tell my students, stay off the booze and cigarettes and take care of your teeth and don't do drugs if you want a long and successful career and life.
Kudos to the ones who ditched those habits and still are with us.
I respect them for winning their battles with addiction and always offered my support.

April 27, 2016 4:30 pm  #5

unclefester wrote:

I Iain...if you're reading this I'll name him with your permission...

Don't, because there could very well be a son, niece, nephew or grandchild reading this who doesn't need to know the background, they just know the guy was special.

I could generate a list as long as my arm, from alcohol to coke to heavy combinations of both.  As you said though, in the majority of cases, the red light came on, and they were pros.  I was often amazed.

Thank goodness we work in a better environment today where that behaviour isn't revered, but ideally reported and worked through by the employee and the employer as a team.  

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 27, 2016 11:00 pm  #6

Very interesting topic.  A quick look at Wikipedia told me who Uncle Fester was talking about.  He was a true legend who died far too young. 

April 28, 2016 8:02 am  #7

another casualty of CanCon and bean counters

April 28, 2016 5:04 pm  #8

grilled.cheese wrote:

We want names

No we don't.  We want respect for our fallen friends and comrades.  Alcoholism is a disease.  Lets laugh at the sick people and hold them up for public scorn and ridicule?  I think NOT.  [this from a 'guy' who goes by the name of grilled cheese,  Real name John.]

I suppose I should cut my coke sniffin' compatriots some slack for that reason.  I don't have to like it though.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My only issue with 'the bottle'?  I hate it when it's empty.

Last edited by Old Codger (April 28, 2016 5:05 pm)

April 28, 2016 9:09 pm  #9

Broadcasting seems to attract self-medicators like politics and sports attracts pederasts.

April 28, 2016 10:35 pm  #10

Chrisphen wrote:

Broadcasting seems to attract self-medicators like politics and sports attracts pederasts.

I had to google that. Ewwwww.

April 29, 2016 7:42 am  #11

In related news, Corus Entertainment shares have moved up from $11.75 to $12.35 in the past 3 days.    Could those pesky bean counters have gotten into the liquor cabinet?

April 29, 2016 5:21 pm  #12

Corus hit $12.60 today & closed @ $12.51.     Someone has been buying; could Fester & the Codger be re-balancing their self-administered RRSP investments?