sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 21, 2016 1:09 pm  #1

Stafford & Bullard's Surprising Reaction To Prince's Death

It was just before 1 PM when the news of Prince's death broke Thursday and Mike Stafford's reaction was equally stunning. While admitting he wasn't a huge fan and that in his CFNY days, they were snobbish about the artist, he acknowledged the man's talent. And then he added this.

"Why does this always happen on my show?" he lamented.

It was a surprising statement and I have to give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't really mean it the way it came out. But it definitely sounded insensitive. 

Still, at least he was willing to talk about it. Over on 'RB, which broke it about a minute or so before, Mike Bullard admitted to being a huge fan and refused to talk about it at all, hoping it wasn't true. "I don't want to jinx it," he mused. Not exactly what you'd expect on a station that brands itself as NewsTalk, specializing in breaking stories and being able to handle topic shifts instantaneously.

Altogether not quite the reaction I would have expected from either of them. 

TMZ: Prince Dead At 57

AP: Publicist Confirms Prince's Death

Wow, has 2016 ever been a terrible year for celebrity deaths, especially in the music world. And we're only in April. At this rate, by December, I'm wondering if there will be anybody left. 

Last edited by RadioActive (April 21, 2016 1:22 pm)

April 21, 2016 1:27 pm  #2

Re: Stafford & Bullard's Surprising Reaction To Prince's Death

I just heard about this!  Holy Crap!

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

April 21, 2016 1:28 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

"Why does this always happen on my show?" he lamented. 

With all due respect to the deceased etc., I'd be saying the same thing.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 21, 2016 1:30 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Wow, has 2016 ever been a terrible year for celebrity deaths, especially in the music world. And we're only in April. At this rate, by December, I'm wondering if there will be anybody left. 

I second that.  I just can't believe that the next time I listen to Let's Go Crazy, I'll be hearing a dead man. (not meant to be insensitive - but that news just shocks me)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

April 21, 2016 1:39 pm  #5

Great talent...gone.
Radio Dead just got a whole new playlist.

April 21, 2016 2:16 pm  #6

I don't know why I have to defend myself but the "why does this always happen on my show" wasn't insensitivity.   Excuse me but I have to go and put a paisley filter on my Facebook profile pic.

April 21, 2016 2:32 pm  #7

I imagine it's hard for people to understand the emotional 180 that needs to take place on a show when something like this happens.  It has to be acknowledged, but it's a no win situation unless it's John Lennon dying again.   The show is sailing along and it's like running full speed down a corridor and right into a metal pipe you didn't know they had installed the night before.

Rather you than me.  I'm not denying his obvious talent, but I wouldn't be able to make any comment about him whatsoever on anything after his purple rain album.

Miker wrote:

I don't know why I have to defend myself but the "why does this always happen on my show" wasn't insensitivity. Excuse me but I have to go and put a paisley filter on my Facebook profile pic.

April 21, 2016 3:41 pm  #8

According to @norm:  "In honour of Her Majesty's birthday, the CN Tower will be lit purple and violet tonight."
Wonder how those colors will be interpreted by the great unwashed.

I'm sure City Hall in an effort to please everyone will switch the colors to violet and purple half way through the evening to honour The former Artist Formerly Known as The Artist formerly known as Prince".

April 21, 2016 3:47 pm  #9

Miker wrote:

I don't know why I have to defend myself but the "why does this always happen on my show" wasn't insensitivity. Excuse me but I have to go and put a paisley filter on my Facebook profile pic.

As noted, benefit of the doubt. The news was sudden and stunning, fan or not. It just sounded odd, given the story that had just broken. It's kind of the same reaction you get when you're trapped on the 401 for two hours after a terrible accident. Two people were killed in the crash, three more were seriously injured and all you can think to yourself is, "why did this have to happen to me?" 

It's "Human Nature." Oh, wait. Wrong artist that died too young. (Speaking of being insensitive...)

Last edited by RadioActive (April 21, 2016 3:47 pm)

April 22, 2016 8:29 am  #10

This has been an extremely interesting thread, but the big question remains outstanding:

HOW MANY radios does RadioActive monitor over the course of a day, in order to catch such on-air situations?

April 22, 2016 7:01 pm  #11

Kilgore wrote:

HOW MANY radios does RadioActive monitor over the course of a day...?

Enough to deserve the moniker RadioActive.

April 24, 2016 7:50 pm  #12

Kilgore wrote:

This has been an extremely interesting thread

It certainly makes plain the limits of some of the contributors.