sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2016 5:34 pm  #1

Canadians shut out by Rogers as Twitter to livestream NFL games

I'm not an NFL fan, but an otherwise free global streamcast of Thursday's NFL games next year won't be available over the web in Canada, apparently the only country where it will be excluded. And guess who you have to thank for that.

Canadians shut out as Twitter to livestream NFL games

April 5, 2016 7:51 pm  #2

Re: Canadians shut out by Rogers as Twitter to livestream NFL games

If I cared about the NFL, I'd be watching in a heartbeat from Southern Ontario or anywhere else in this country...Rogers be damned.

April 5, 2016 10:23 pm  #3

This is pretty standard and not nefarious.  Rogers owns the Canadian rights so Twitter can't encroach on it.

April 6, 2016 7:21 am  #4

MediaGuy wrote:

This is pretty standard and not nefarious.  Rogers owns the Canadian rights so Twitter can't encroach on it.

Rogers only holds one more year of the contract. They can work something out for a mere 10 games, which could include extra flood ads for anything Rogers, if desired. We're only talking about ten games here, and possibly a smaller screen with permanent Rogers ad engraving on Twitter during the game. 
Something could have been worked out for at least the ten games...then after that, well, I'm only guessing Rogers would simply renew the contract anyway...

(Banner advertising may be annoying, but rights are rights...)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 10, 2016 7:24 pm  #5

Never miss a chance to urinate on your old employer, do you, RA?

Tedious. And nobody cares. Again.

April 10, 2016 8:21 pm  #6

Where there's a will, there's a way. I was told everywhere I went that there was no way to stream KFI from Canada. IHeart wouldn't hear of it!  I wanted to hear Bill Carrol a few times from Cali. I found a way, and yes, it was free.

I am Here, just not all there.

April 11, 2016 12:23 pm  #7

StevieB wrote:

Where there's a will, there's a way. I was told everywhere I went that there was no way to stream KFI from Canada. IHeart wouldn't hear of it!  I wanted to hear Bill Carrol a few times from Cali. I found a way, and yes, it was free.

No kidding. Now that we've been dragged into the digital universe, nobody owns my 0s and 1s. How do I know? Easy, I see them right here on my keyboard.

Frankly, I was reasonably happy in the analogue world, but I can use 0s and 1s if that's what our overlords want.