sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2016 11:46 am  #1

Are Canadians “Racist” Because We Don’t Watch This Show?

Canada may not have “truly embraced diversity.” That’s the rather specious conclusion drawn in an article published in the Hollywood Reporter. And what do they use to reach that determination? Apparently, Canadians weren’t watching “Empire.”

The show, which features a mostly black cast, centres on a record mogul’s music “empire,” and the intrigue within his family and artists. It includes a lot of hip hop and rap music as part of the often soap-opera-like plot.

According to the piece, the drama – which is a huge hit in the U.S. - went over like a lead balloon in places like Britain, Germany and Australia, playing to miniscule audiences. The author and Fox, the producing network, instantly assume that’s because the nations that bought the show aren’t interested in programs featuring black actors. And then the story turns its attention to the Great White North.

“In Canada, broadcaster Rogers Media moved Empire off its free-TV network City after season two ratings dipped to 208,000 viewers, shifting the second half of the season to its online streaming service Shomi.

Adds [Marion Edwards, president of international TV at Fox]: "Having a diverse cast creates another hurdle for U.S. series trying to break through; it would be foolish not to recognize that. We are telling our units that they need to be aware that by creating too much diversity in the leads in their show means … problems having their shows translating to the international market."

I’m stunned by them instantly playing the race card to explain why the show is flopping here. If there’s any country on the planet that’s more focused on diversity, it’s Canada. How they could come to the idea that because a program like “Empire” (or “Black-ish,” another example used in the article) doesn’t rate well, must be because we don’t embrace ethnic casts (a subtle euphemism for racism) is beyond me.

Although it’s pointed out later in the piece that some other shows featuring ethnic casting are big hits here, they explain it's only because they also feature white actors.

It’s a completely idiotic conclusion and it’s more than a bit insulting. I happen to like Empire and watch it every week. (It’s back on the air on Fox Wednesday night after a winter hiatus.) But I don’t much care for Black-ish, not because of who’s in it, but because I don’t find it amusing and there are only so many shows you can watch in a week.

That doesn’t make me – or you – racist. If anything, I’m a discriminating viewer. And nothing more.

'Empire' Flops Overseas as Foreign Viewers Resist Hollywood's Diversity Push  

March 30, 2016 10:36 pm  #2

Re: Are Canadians “Racist” Because We Don’t Watch This Show?

I don't know.  I seldom watch ANYTHING on CITY.  Never have really.  And as I generally only bother with basic cable...Empire just ain't available.  I'm not watching that Mick J./Martin S. Rock show either...whatever it's called.

I do know that most folks who are branded racist may, in fact, only be ignorant.  It's the lack of experience in terms of sharing LIFE with folks from different/various cultures.  When that ceases to be a cloudy issue people are better equipped to make a more meaningful assessment of 'others'.  Many find that ultimately we all share many basic wants needs and desires and that we really aren't all THAT different as it turns out.

Of course the media likes to frighten the great unwashed and further the agenda of systemic racism and stereotypes.  We've done it for as long as there's been a signal...or a printing press.  WE have been part of the problem for so long that we simply now stand steadfast in the knowledge that the solution was pissed away a LONG time ago.

Tokenism aside of course.

Last edited by Old Codger (March 30, 2016 10:37 pm)

March 30, 2016 11:41 pm  #3

While I doubt it has much to do with the station it's on in Canada, there are a lot of other possible explanations of why it didn't catch fire on this side of the border. The most obvious is the competition. Wednesday at 9 features longtime CBS hit Criminal Minds, NBC's veteran Law & Order: SVU, the long running Supernatural is on the CW and multiple Emmy winner Modern Family airs then on ABC - not to mention what's on other cable outlets.

Plus if you're not a fan of rap or hip hop, it may not be up your alley since that style of music is featured prominently in every episode. 

And it's very soap opera-ish, a format that often strains credibility and is something of an acquired taste.  

But to jump to the "rejecting diversity" card without seeking any other reason strikes me as pandering to people who see bogeymen behind every corner or looking for an easy excuse to calm down execs angry at lagging foreign sales. 

March 31, 2016 12:56 pm  #4

Does watching more hockey over any other sport make Canada racist? No. 

Loved season 1 of Empire. Season 2 felt like an agenda push on the part of the producers of that show, so I stopped watching. 

March 31, 2016 1:33 pm  #5

To set aside the race card for a moment:
There are many examples where a show's American success may not be reflected in Canada. It has a lot to do with the Canadian network that's carrying the show, and whether that network is even available for viewing in some regions.
The Voice is a #3 show in the U.S. on NBC...in Canada on CTV2, it doesn't even make the Top 30.
Modern Family is a consistent Top 20 show stateside....doesn't make the cut on CITY in Canada.
How will we know how many Canadians watch the new season of Empire on a FOX affiliate? Would Numeris numbers even display that? 

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/03/22/broadcast-weekly-top-25-march-14-20-2016/

http://assets.numeris.ca/Downloads/March%2014,%202016%20-%20March%2020,%202016%20(National).pdf