sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2016 1:50 pm  #1

Be Honest With Me...

There's lot of "On Air" talent here so this question is directed primarily to you folks...

Do you ever go into "broadcast mode" when dealing with folks over the phone ??

Here's what I'm talking about...

A few days ago I was needing to talk to talk to several Rogers customer service  reps. I was lucky...I got a couple of ladies who spoke English and where based in Nova Scotia (I asked them that).

So I discussed my issue with them...(Rogers had screwed up again)...and they couldn't have been nicer.  In fact they were "complimenting" me on our respective conversations. I've had this happen before. Full and firm broadcast projection in the voice means you sort of sound like you know what you're talking about. There is NO rudeness on my part...I'm clear and concise.... the Rogers employees or whomever are treated well by me and with full respect.  But, bottom line  I'm looking to get my way and in a hurry and I lay it on pretty thick. I wouldn't dare talk to my bride with that "tone of voice"...she'd give me an ear full. But in telephone situations where I can and where it's both beneficial and appropriate they'll  get the "radio" voice and persona.  And it works for me.

Does any of that that make any sense ??

Call it bombast...or B.S. or whatever

Any and all comments welcome...

Last edited by unclefester (March 27, 2016 1:52 pm)

March 27, 2016 3:05 pm  #2

Re: Be Honest With Me...

''The radio voice' for sales calls, complaint calls, even compliments is very handy! I use it all the time- even with the bride when needed! (But she too sees through it). Serves me well. (And I thought it was only me).

March 27, 2016 5:54 pm  #3

Re: Be Honest With Me...

No...Never.  Really.  But then the 'radio voice' is not all that different from the norm.  I don't think I've 'put on' much of anything since the high octane days of 70s-style/era top 40 radio.  After that we kind of [at least where I worked] toned it down to more a conversational approach.  Concise yes.  But it was more like we were talking TO rather than talking AT a more mature individual.

I usually tell whomever I'm bitching to that I realize it's not THEIR fault but that if I don't register my complaint things will never get fixed or remedied.  They're OK with that.  I remember having to go to Purolator to pick something up.  It was maybe 18 months ago.  They didn't leave it at my home, between the doors, 'cause I wasn't home.  I presented them with an invoice for around 540 bucks.  I charged them my hourly rate plus travel time, gas and wear and tear on my car.  I explained that in leaving written instructions in terms of what I had to do in order to pick up my package that the company had legally engaged my services...that I was now working for them.

No...they didn't pay...but they now deliver the goods PROPERLY.  [No more lazy sob's]  Squeak or get the crap end of the stick... ... ...Every time.