sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2016 9:08 am  #1

New Oldies Format: "Radio Dead"

There used to be a radio station in St. Louis called KSHE-FM, which used the slogan "Less Music By Dead Guys." Now a British DJ has turned that idea on its head, with an online format called "Radio Dead." The jock claims that when an artist passes on, there's a burst of radio play - and then they supposedly disappear from the airwaves. Not sure if that's true, but this is his solution to fix it.  

The Real "Late Show" On Radio

It gives a whole new meaning to the term "dead air."

Last edited by RadioActive (March 20, 2016 9:12 am)

March 20, 2016 10:03 am  #2

Re: New Oldies Format: "Radio Dead"

lol @ Comments section: "Is that really the logo? Did the graphic designer die?" 
Good one! 
Interesting format idea. A nice break from just hearing an all Elvis station. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 20, 2016 10:17 am  #3

Beats the hell out of today's 'hits' for 39-47 straight weeks of the same old/same OLD song played ad infinitum and 'performed' by artists ... many of whom you WISH were dead...before it gets dropped into recurrent for another 39-47 weeks worth of daily air-play.  It's entirely debilitating.

Today's 'hits' and yesterdays 'classics'...literally.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Old Codger (March 20, 2016 10:18 am)

March 20, 2016 11:43 am  #4

Old Codger wrote:

Beats the hell out of today's 'hits' for 39-47 straight weeks of the same old/same OLD song played ad infinitum and 'performed' by artists ... many of whom you WISH were dead...before it gets dropped into recurrent for another 39-47 weeks worth of daily air-play.  It's entirely debilitating.

Today's 'hits' and yesterdays 'classics'...literally.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How true and people wonder why commercial music radio is becoming irrelevant. The description above nails it.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

March 20, 2016 1:11 pm  #5

Jeff McArthur recently had as a 640 Toronto topic some rock band that had announced its retirement and invited comment.   A caller remarked that he has watched American Graffiti over 100 times.  McArthur jumped all over that (as an alert talk show host should) and asked what on earth anyone could get out of that film.    The caller responded that he always finds it entertaining

That could apply to Andy Frost's Psychedelic Sundays.    Week after week after week (except for the 1/2 hour album side which is unique) probably 90% of the tunes Frost hosts are the same as those heard the Sunday before.  Just the order is changed.   So why do we listen?    Could it be the same reason the AM 640 caller watches American Graffiti?     Familiar and oddly comforting?

March 20, 2016 2:26 pm  #6

This is a format I could embrace, as I have significant experience with the deceased. Should I apply for a position?

March 20, 2016 2:31 pm  #7

Kilgore wrote:

Jeff McArthur recently had as a 640 Toronto topic some rock band that had announced its retirement and invited comment.   A caller remarked that he has watched American Graffiti over 100 times.  McArthur jumped all over that (as an alert talk show host should) and asked what on earth anyone could get out of that film.    The caller responded that he always finds it entertaining

That could apply to Andy Frost's Psychedelic Sundays.    Week after week after week (except for the 1/2 hour album side which is unique) probably 90% of the tunes Frost hosts are the same as those heard the Sunday before.  Just the order is changed.   So why do we listen?    Could it be the same reason the AM 640 caller watches American Graffiti?     Familiar and oddly comforting?

Isn't it interesting we treat movies and music so differently. I have no trouble blowing out an afternoon if I stumble across The Godfather on television but if I have to hear China Grove just one more time, there could be a body bag filled as a result.

The movie (like the song) never changes and we know what's coming but for some reason we'll sit and watch movies over and over so why do we get sick of the same songs over and over? Surely the song is just as good now as it was the first time, and it's nowhere near the time commitment that a movie is. And because I've just mentioned it, I now want to go watch The Godfather.

March 20, 2016 3:22 pm  #8

For the very reasons stated in posts above, I gave up on Psych Psunday. We know that Andy could dig deeper and treat us to a much wider variety, but maybe he's just mailing it in after all these years.

As for Radio Dead, I gave it a try and found it (maybe because it's new to me) refreshing. How ironic. Dead and refreshing. A couple of times, he threw three Elvis songs in a row at us; some B sides; and it was great. I even went along with Nat King Cole, without losing too much of the beat.

Rock on.

March 20, 2016 4:04 pm  #9

We can assume there is no punk in the format, because it isn't dead.

March 20, 2016 4:21 pm  #10

verger wrote:

We can assume there is no punk in the format, because it isn't dead.

Actually, it's not because there are no dead punk "stars". http://www.deadpunkstars.com/browse/
It's simply because it's crap.

March 20, 2016 6:36 pm  #11

Charlie wrote:

I like Psych Sundays, but it could be so much more interesting from a musical standpoint, if they just mixed in a few lesser-known tracks.  Instead of playing the same songs over and over, dig a little deeper, and play other songs from those classic albums once in a while.  Even if they suck, at least we won't be subjected to Born To Be Wild for the 8,000th time.

ahhh, but "born to be wild" is scored as can-con.

March 22, 2016 2:21 pm  #12

I went to the "Uptown backstage" Theatre no less than a dozen times to watch American Graffiti.
It is still my favourite movie.

I am Here, just not all there.

March 23, 2016 10:41 am  #13

StevieB wrote:

I went to the "Uptown backstage" Theatre no less than a dozen times to watch American Graffiti

My 4-year-old grandson can choose from a huge box of DVDs but will only watch Thomas the Tank Engine or Cars (favorite character is Mater)

March 31, 2016 10:21 pm  #14

I have a feeling this is an April Fool's prank. Still, since it involves the guy who put Radio Dead on the Internet, I suppose nothing is impossible.  

Coming soon: Tourette’s radio station 

[Update: Looks like the Radio Times realized this was bogus. The entire story has been removed from its website. The gist of the article was that the guy who created Radio Dead, which actually does exist, was planning on launching Radio Tourettes, a syndrome that often causes patients to develop uncontrollable tics as well as launching into strings of profanity at the worst moments in public. It really wasn't a funny idea, and it looks like this publication was taken in by it.]

Last edited by RadioActive (April 1, 2016 8:29 am)

March 31, 2016 10:49 pm  #15

Radio commercials would be ever-so-much-more entertaining if they employed a little 'tourettes' into the scripting.  They're too straight.  Too homogenized.  Too dammmm B O R I N G.  It's supposed to be entertainment.  Don't 'get serious' unless you're selling funerals.

Ferryman's on WKRP is classic.  Most commericals...aka 'spots'...are TUNE OUT factors 'cause they out and out suck.  And that's good for the client and the audience how exactly?

[That's right NO n in my 'damms'.  Dont' want to offend those who subscribe to the 'man in the sky' theory.  ]