sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2016 12:12 am  #1

Plugged Pulled on 102.7 Scarborough

Interesting CRTC decision today.  perhaps a "first".  

CJVF-FM the thamil station that is located in Scarborough had its plugged pulled - so as to speak - today by the CRTC.   It's a bit complicated but in a nutshell, the station started its life as a "low power" FM station in Scarborough - on 105.9.  But they mis-read the CRTC and lost the frequency to Pip Bola and Deb McLaughlin who won the frequency for The Region in (CFMS) Markham. (when Indie 88.1 was licensed)  then they applied and got 102.7 for low power and pulled off an interesting end-run around the CRTC. But that's another story.  They applied for higher power and that triggered a full blown CRTC competitive hearing.  .  

Another mis-step and there was a full blown competitive CRTC hearing for the 102.7 frequency and were badly out-gunned by other applicants.  

The station was badly out of compliance with its licence conditions and FM Regs..  The CRTC basically threw the book at the licensee at the hearing. .  

Frank Rogers (former owner of that train-wreck CFAO-94.7 Alliston) represented the owner at the CRTC hearing.  It wasn't a pretty picture.   There were also allegations that the station had increased the power of the transmitter....but those allegations were denied at the hearing held at the Yorkdale Holiday Inn.  But I digress.  

The CRTC declined to award the licence to CJVF.  Now the winner of the 102.7 license sweepstakes   is getting ready to launch.  

More mis-steps.  

CJVF applied for another frequency (105.3) that's in conflict with Uxbridge and other stations.   So the CRTC has had enough. It is possible that  CJVF won't shut down voluntarily.   But they seem to be out of options.  Perhaps this is one time when the CRTC has made a rather sound and reasonable decision.  On the other hand.... Now there's a whole slew of "low powered" ethnic stations operating in BC  without broadcasting licenses....each of whom  claim to be (licence exempt) "tourist radio" stations - or broadcasting from "houses of worship".  

Completely bogus.  

They're being run as commercial FM ethnic stations- and the CRTC has called their owners to a "show cause" hearing.  None of them have licenses, but Industry Canada awarded them operating certificates.  And they have great signals in Surrey/Vancouver, Kelowna, Abbotsford, .....It's a real mess.  

Perhaps it's time to put a fork in the bogus "low power" exemptions.  Or tighten the rules to limit LPFM to (legitimate) colleges, universities and community groups that broadcast in English or French (or aboriginal languages).  

There are too many "bad apples" out there.  

RIP CJVF.

March 17, 2016 2:31 am  #2

Re: Plugged Pulled on 102.7 Scarborough

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 18, 2016 1:29 pm  #3

There is a segment of our population that doesn't understand the rules, and evidently, behave as though the rules don't apply to them as a result. 
I see that every day on the road. It sounds like the same sort of behaviour here.

I am Here, just not all there.

March 19, 2016 3:44 pm  #4

StevieB wrote:

There is a segment of our population that doesn't understand the rules, and evidently, behave as though the rules don't apply to them as a result. 
I see that every day on the road. It sounds like the same sort of behaviour here.

If I were the owner of a radio station, no matter what kind of trouble I'm in, I sure wouldn't turn to Frank Rogers for help. He bankrupts everything he touches!! 

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 20, 2016 12:18 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.