sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2016 12:35 pm  #1

You Won't Believe... These Promos

It’s happening more and more often, especially on CFRB. The incessant promos, designed to increase hours tuned, that inevitably begin with the words, “You won’t believe…” In fact, I heard another one of these things just this morning.

The worst offender on Toronto radio is definitely ’RB’s afternoon driver Ryan Doyle, who has fallen into the annoying habit of promoting almost every upcoming story by saying things like, “Coming up after the news, you won’t believe the reason three people were arrested in downtown Toronto this afternoon.” And then it turns out the referenced trio were pinched for something like arguing over a parking space. It may be unusual but it’s not that spectacular.

Or “you won’t believe how much someone spent for a recently discovered baseball card.” And after waiting through what seems like 40 minutes of spots, you discover it’s $100,000. Actually, I would believe it. It’s not all that amazing.

The problem with these promos is that after they overdo them too many times, it becomes impossible to accept anything they say, even on the odd occasion when there really is an incredible story worthy of your attention.

City TV news used to suffer from this problem a few years ago. Every promo for their major 6 pm newscast would be predicting disaster. “The three things you’re doing that could result in the death of your children!” Or “the things experts say could be slowly eating away at your house and putting your family in danger!” It got so stupid that it’s my understanding staffers who were there at the time started making fun of them internally. Never a good thing.

So while I understand the need for promos, maybe save the outrageous hyperbole and hype for the items that actually deserve it. Otherwise you own words may well come true. “You won’t believe…” And you’re right. I’m starting not to believe anything you say. 

March 15, 2016 12:39 pm  #2

Re: You Won't Believe... These Promos

I don't believe any of it.

March 15, 2016 1:10 pm  #3

I remember those CityTV promos. They were just terrible and an insult to the intelligence of viewers. Glad to know even the City staff thought the same.

March 15, 2016 5:35 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

save the outrageous hyperbole and hype

Then how will I get you to pound on your dashboard?

March 15, 2016 7:29 pm  #5

Along the same lines of almost everything is "Breaking news" now. Kind of the "boy who cried wolf" when something truly earth shattering does happen.

March 15, 2016 8:00 pm  #6

kevjo wrote:

Along the same lines of almost everything is "Breaking news" now. Kind of the "boy who cried wolf" when something truly earth shattering does happen.

Exactly! It's kinda like the overuse of antibiotics. After a while, they lose their effectiveness and you still feel sick. 

March 15, 2016 9:10 pm  #7

This is 2016. I'm not sure about City TV, but unless CFRB is targeting drivers trapped in their cars with no where to go for a while (traffic jam or slow going bumper to bumper traffic)
When I hear the words "You won't believe..." I google what the radio announcer just said.
Faster, quicker, easier. 
Most of the time it's online already. No need to listen to CFRB for all that long.
(and oh...look at that! I also tuned out before the ads aired! lol) 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 18, 2016 10:39 am  #8

Saw an episode of Nashville and there was a promo for 93.5 The Move. Hope that crossover reaches new fans for ya...

March 18, 2016 2:06 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Exactly! It's kinda like the overuse of antibiotics. After a while, they lose their effectiveness and you still feel sick. 

It's kinda like the mindless overuse of the word "kinda", assuming we count that as a word.

Don't listen too closely because "kinda" is kinda everywhere. Earworm.