sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2016 1:02 am  #1

Hot Off The Press: Winter 2016 PPM Ratings

Numeris released results of the Winter 2016 PPM Ratings Thursday for Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. The ratings cover November 30, 2015 to February 28, 2016. That means stations that played Christmas Music for weeks on end in December got a bump in the numbers. But those increases usually disappear when the Spring ratings come out.

So I have two links to kowchmedia for those who want to check only the Toronto numbers or to check the ratings in all five PPM markets The numbers include A12+, F12+, M12+, A25-54, F25-54 and M25-54.

Unfortunately numbers for different day parts were not available.

My thanks to Bell Media Research and Bray & Partners Communications.

March 11, 2016 2:17 am  #2

Re: Hot Off The Press: Winter 2016 PPM Ratings

Once again, having placed a copy of "How to Make it Big in Radio" on everyone's desk has paid off for CHFI

March 11, 2016 8:30 am  #3

Why aren't the CBC numbers included in the Bell research? Love it or hate it, Radio One is a big factor in this market and in the past came in at or near the top.

March 11, 2016 9:22 am  #4

Not to hijack this thread, but I love this story. NPR was doing a piece on Amazon's Alexa when a number of listeners found strange things happening in their house:

Amazon gadget hijacks owner's heating after hearing radio report

Imagine the uses in unscrupulous hands. "Alexa/Siri/Whatever: It's ratings. Tune my radio over to TSN 1050 and lock it on there for the next two hours." And suddenly a station getting miniscule ratings or hash tags is number one in the next book! (O.K., it couldn't really happen. But you gotta wonder if there aren't some PDs out there thinking about the possibilities right now anyway...)

Or alternately, how NPR responded to the story

"So Alexa, listen up - we want you to pledge to your local member station. You hear me? Lots and lots of money. Did you get that, Alexa?" 

Last edited by RadioActive (March 11, 2016 9:57 am)

March 11, 2016 9:28 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Why aren't the CBC numbers included in the Bell research? Love it or hate it, Radio One is a big factor in this market and in the past came in at or near the top.

For sales-facing numbers, they don't matter. FWIW, they came in #2 overall and #6 25-54.

March 11, 2016 9:34 am  #6

I must admit I'm a little shocked that CHFI won Adults 18-34?    Does that not put the entire rating system under question?

March 11, 2016 9:36 am  #7

It's a Christmas thing.

March 11, 2016 9:45 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

NEW: CBC numbers now included 

I have updated the kowchmedia Winter 2016 PPM Reports by adding David Bray's reports that include CBC numbers for Winter 2016 in all markets. Click here and then choose the city you want to see the ratings for. 

If you only care about the Centre of The Universe, click here 

Last edited by kowchmedia (March 11, 2016 9:47 am)

March 11, 2016 11:04 am  #9

RadioQuiz wrote:

I must admit I'm a little shocked that CHFI won Adults 18-34? Does that not put the entire rating system under question?

YES

next question, please

March 11, 2016 1:31 pm  #10

Don wrote:

It's a Christmas thing.

Agreed 100%.
I should be surprised that RadioQuiz didn't pick up on that, but then again, maybe it is surprising that a Multicultural Toronto still wants to tune into an all Christmas format.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 11, 2016 1:36 pm  #11

Kilgore wrote:

RadioQuiz wrote:

I must admit I'm a little shocked that CHFI won Adults 18-34? Does that not put the entire rating system under question?

YES

next question, please

No. No it doesn't.

The entire purpose of the system is to determine how many people, and which types of people, are likely to hear an ad when it airs. That's it. Why they're hearing the ad is completely subjective and qualitative and not what the ratings system is for.

Last edited by Don (March 11, 2016 1:36 pm)

March 11, 2016 2:24 pm  #12

I understand how it is supposed to work -  my question is does it?  Is it reasonable to believe that the most popular station with Adults 18-34 is CHFI?    My personal answer is no.    Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems to me that a station that doesn't target 18-34 likely would not win the demo?   Either way - good for FI.

March 11, 2016 8:52 pm  #13

Not most popular - most listened to - or, more accurately, most heard.  Big difference. 

It's completely beliveable that CHFI is the most heard in that demo, especially at Christmas.

And sure, those who aren't chosing the station are less engaged, but, on the other hand, are the least lkely/able to skip to Preset 2 when commercials start. Which of those is better for advertisers? That's a discussion between agencies, account managers, and advertisers -- not Numeris' job.

Last edited by Don (March 11, 2016 8:59 pm)

March 11, 2016 9:01 pm  #14

I'd also question if anyone making these comments has actually listened to CHFI in the past 5 years. In the last hour alone, the playlist has included Simple Plan, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, Pitbull, and Vance Joy. If we were debating Kiss or Virgin, I'm sure posters would surmise that only pre-teens listen to that station.

Last edited by Don (March 11, 2016 9:27 pm)

March 11, 2016 9:24 pm  #15

Don wrote:

I'd also question if anyone making these comments has actually listened to CHFI in the past 5 years. In the last hour alone, the playlist has included Simple Plan, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, Pitbull, and Vance Joy. If we were debating Kiss or Virgin, I sure posters would surmise that only pre-teens listen to that station.

Agreed. And pre-2000 gold titles all but gone. 

March 11, 2016 10:00 pm  #16

You're right Don.  CHFI is hip.   Everyone loves Christmas music.  Numeris is perfect.

March 11, 2016 10:07 pm  #17

CHFI isn't hip. Neither are most people. 

March 12, 2016 8:38 am  #18

Don wrote:

question if anyone making these comments has actually listened to CHFI in the past 5 years

Impossble to avoid CHFI if one regularly visits an optometrist, physician, psychiatrist or dental office, which raises the question "is that a PPM in your pocket or are you just glad to hear me?"

Last edited by Kilgore (March 12, 2016 8:43 am)