sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2016 5:06 pm  #1

David Spencer

Many people were taught and/or mentored by David Spencer.  He worked at CKFM in the late 1960's and early 1970's.  He moved on to the world of academia.   He passed away a few days ago.  He was one of the good guys of the industry.

SATURDAY MARCH 5, 2016SPENCER, Dr. David R.

Dr. David R. Spencer passed away on Monday, February 29, 2016 in London, Ontario. David is survived by his wife, Judi; daughters. Shara and Kyra Lynn; grandsons. Sam and Nicholas; and his family, Douglas (Bud) Boughner, Larry Spencer, and Mike Spencer. He will be greatly missed by his friends, extended family, colleagues, students, and cats.
  After graduating from the Radio and Television Arts program at Ryerson Polytechnic Institute, he started his career as a radio journalist. David worked as an announcer, producer, and production manager in Montreal and Toronto before becoming a faculty member in the Radio Broadcasting Program at Humber College. A dedicated learner, David earned a Ph.D. in History and Philosophy from the University of Toronto, accepting an appointment on the faculty in the Graduate School of Journalism at The University of Western Ontario. While at Western, David served as Associate Dean, Acting Dean, and a founding member of the Faculty of Information and Media Studies (FIMS). He was promoted to Full Professor in 2002.
  In the course of his career, David published three books, served as the Head of the History Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communications, and as the President of the American Journalism Historians Association. He was twice nominated for the prestigious Bank of Nova Scotia Teaching Award, served as a Director on the Board of the Gordon Sinclair Foundation, and as an editor of J- Source: The Canadian Journalism Project.
  A loss keenly felt, a colleague wrote: 'He always spoke of his family with deep caring and pride, of his work with enthusiasm and excitement, and of the other rich corners of his life with an infectious pleasure and gratitude'. Friends and colleagues have shared fond memories of his mentorship, kindness, humorous stories, and love of history. In addition to his academic career, David loved to share his passion for antique radios, gramophones, and vintage British sports cars. Thoughtful, encouraging, and kind, David was someone who not only saw injustice in the world, but actively did something to fix it, quietly, (and sometimes loudly), working to make the world a more peaceful, inclusive, and better place.  To honour his legacy at Western and his love of nature, a tree will be planted on campus. Donations can be made to Animal Alert or the Children's Health Foundation – London in his memory in lieu of a service.

March 6, 2016 2:43 am  #2

Re: David Spencer

David wasn't 'tickled' when I dropped out of the radio course at Humber back in early ''73 but he understood.  A really, truly good guy.  Both he and Phil were all of that.  They sure helped me a LOT.

Sad to learn of his passing but it certainly appears that he had a great and fulfilling life.  Condolences to his family and his friends.

March 6, 2016 9:27 am  #3

RIP David. 

I can still smell the cherry flavoured pipe tobacco he used to use during smoke breaks (remember those?) in class.  He always struck me as being VERY intelligent.  I'm not at all surprised he went on to get a Ph.D.
He and the late Stan Larke were key members of the Humber radio programme in my day.

BTW Codger, Stan WAS tickled when I left after year two to start my first job (A job he helped me get)  I said "Sorry Stan, I guess I won't graduate."  And he said "You just did."

March 6, 2016 9:55 pm  #4

I worked with Stan...prior to his stint at Humber.  He was right.  "Hudda da - hudda da/Riddi dit - Riddi dit."  "Say that over and over" he told me.  "Tongue exercises" he called it...circa 1972.  I guess we did graduate.  Although I'm more of a moving man these days.  Ask my wife.  I guess those college era days working for Allied Van Lines paid off too.

"Hudda da - hudda da/Riddi dit - Riddi dit."

Funny.  David never suggested that. Probably afraid I'd say it live on either CHBR or 'Humber College Total Radio'.

March 7, 2016 1:37 am  #5

Old Codger wrote:

"Hudda da - hudda da/Riddi dit - Riddi dit."     "Tongue exercises"   

When I was a young buck I might have suggested a different and far more pleasing method of tongue exercise...

R.I.P. Mr. Spencer