sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 29, 2016 6:25 pm  #1

1280 The Scope set to sign-on Mar. 31

Testing was suppose to start today [Feb. 29]
[url=http://www.thescopeatryerson.ca/en/thescope/blog/827/Countdown-to-1280AM-Begins.htmtnx to mediumwave.info and ]http://www.thescopeatryerson.ca/en/thescope/blog/827/Countdown-to-1280AM-Begins.htm[/url]

Thanks to mediumwave.info and Dr. Hansjoerg Biener for the find

February 29, 2016 6:49 pm  #2

Re: 1280 The Scope set to sign-on Mar. 31

What a coincidence this post is. It just so happens I tuned over to 1280 this afternoon and heard a fairly intermittent test signal about 2:30 PM, which I presume was the newcomer, CJRU. It wasn't strong here in northern North York, but it was there. 

What I don't understand is why Ryerson would bother. The signal is 99 watts maximum and I very much doubt the age group they'd expect to be listening tunes in a lot of AM radio. But they were there today. And there's certainly more to come.

What an unfortunate history the 1280 frequency has here. The former home of CHAM/CJJD in the 70s, it was an empty signal for many years, then the home to Pearson Airport station CFYZ, a ridiculous idea that included a live morning show that absolutely no one ever heard. That was followed by CFBN, a fairly dull all-business format that was doomed by how poorly the signal could be received in Toronto. Now it's Ryerson's turn. Good luck guys. You may need it.  

Last edited by RadioActive (February 29, 2016 6:57 pm)

February 29, 2016 9:04 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

What an unfortunate history the 1280 frequency has here. The former home of CHAM/CJJD in the 70s, it was an empty signal for many years, then the home to Pearson Airport station CFYZ, a ridiculous idea that included a live morning show that absolutely no one ever heard. That was followed by CFBN, a fairly dull all-business format that was doomed by how poorly the signal could be received in Toronto. Now it's Ryerson's turn. Good luck guys. You may need it.  

Let's see - 1280 has never had good coverage to begin with. Now they're sticking a low-power signal to it. Then the obvious - AM radio aimed at a young audience. Then there's the downtown causing interference that will make it almost unlistenable. Luck? More like a miracle is called for here.

February 29, 2016 11:44 pm  #4

At least they won't have to deal with "1150 CKOC - Ontario's Music Leader" kicking their butt like they did back in the '70s. 

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!