sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2016 10:58 am  #2

Re: RIP Richard Gale, CKDS 95.3fm

Awwww shit!  I really liked him.  Although I was very happy to see Y95 come about in 1991, I was very saddened that he became one of the casualties of CKDS.  Seemed like a true gentleman to me.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 25, 2016 12:05 pm  #3

Re: RIP Richard Gale, CKDS 95.3fm

I met Richard a few times when I worked at CHML/Y95 (Y95 was still "95.3 CKDS-FM - Hamilton's Light Rock" when I joined the station full time in late 1990). Although his show was voicetracked (which, by the way, you'd probably never notice unless someone told you), he would pop into the station on a regular basis to record his show. He always had a friendly "hello", even for people he didn't know that well (such as myself).

My late father used to listen to his show almost religiously, and even though I'm not a big classical music fan, I also found his show a pleasure to listen to. He would tell stories about composers that would make them seem like your neighbour next door, as opposed to a bunch of old stuffed shirts. And what a set of pipes! That full, rich voice could resonate in a room full of foam rubber.

He will be missed. Along with Bill Stirrup, Phil Hitchcock and Lee Dunbar, he was among the group of seasoned professionals at The Radio Centre that young broadcasters would look up to and could only hope to emulate.

Paul Jeffries

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!