sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2016 12:08 pm  #1

WNYB's New Subchannel

When I was out in Oakville yesterday visiting dear old [she turned 90 last week and still lives in her home] mom, I discovered that Ch 49 now has a 4th subchannel. 49-2 is something called ASN, American Sports Network I assume. GET TV is now on 49-4. Around 3PM, ASN was running reruns of college basketball games, probably Division II or III. Comet is still on 49-3

February 20, 2016 1:03 pm  #2

Re: WNYB's New Subchannel

Gosh thanks for the update...

I feel like I've just been maced...

February 21, 2016 1:57 pm  #3

I didn't hear about this one, so thanks for noticing and posting it here. In hindsight, its addition was inevitable. Sinclair, which owns WNYO, is also the station group behind the American Sports Network, so it was likely going to appear there at some point in time. Won't be high on my viewing list, though, according to its own bumpf:

"ASN seeks out the stories that move you, that showcase the passion for sports from the pageantry of high school’s Thursday Night Lights and Friday Night Rivals to college sports every day of the week that make sports part of our social fabric.

"ASN televises live games from multiple NCAA Division 1 college sports conferences, provides analysis from the game’s top experts, delves into the human side of competition and shows the best of today’s student-athletes. ASN will also be your landing spot for interactive communities, contests and polls to engage every fan."

ASN barker page

ASN Schedule

Last edited by RadioActive (February 21, 2016 1:59 pm)

February 22, 2016 1:02 pm  #4

ASN, in point of fact, is now a full-time subchannel from Sinclair that has appeared from time to time on the subchannels of stations that Sinclair owns(and I THINK you mean WNYO; WNYB is the Christian station). ASN programming had been pre-empting shows on the other subchannels, to no end of grief from viewers of those diginets. Good to see Sinclair actually created a full-time diginet.