sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2016 12:49 pm  #1

CRTC To Cable: You Must Promote The New Skinny Basic - But Will They?

We are now about two weeks away from the coming of pick and pay and skinny basic to Canadian cable/satellite. Previous threads have noted how completely silent the Rogers and Bells of the world have been on this topic. But on Wednesday, the CRTC released reiterated rules on the changes, most of which everyone here knows by now. 

But there was one provision that jumped out at me, and I'll be very curious to see if they follow it. Here it is verbatim from the CRTC's own release. 

3. The Commission also stated that it would require the entry-level basic service to be promoted in a like manner to the BDU's first-tier offering so that customers are aware of its availability, price and content.

The clock is ticking. Whether you think the new rules will make any difference or not, this should be an interesting evolution to watch. Or not watch, depending on whether the cablers choose to actually follow that highlighted rule.

Last edited by RadioActive (February 17, 2016 12:51 pm)

February 17, 2016 1:52 pm  #2

Re: CRTC To Cable: You Must Promote The New Skinny Basic - But Will They?

• is priced at no more than $25 (not including equipment) per month 

A Rogers PVR box is $24.99 per month. Add in a second TV and you've got another $9.95 extra outlet fee. 
Another $10 if you want American timeshifting.
That's $70 + tax right there! 
(I also have a second HD digital box rental for the second TV, non PVR, a $12.25 value at no extra charge)

I pay $75 (including tax!) for a lot more channels in a package (including $2.79 + tax for Game show network)
which also includes a $0 Rogers PVR rental, ($24.99 value), a second HD (non PVR) box ($12.25 value)
HD timeshifting, (both CDN and USA) and no charge for a second cable outlet  (I believe it's up to 4 allowed) 
They even threw in Hollywood Suite at no extra charge
(included in the package: http://hollywoodsuite.ca/ )

Skinny basic is doing me no favours...

Last edited by Radiowiz (February 17, 2016 3:22 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 17, 2016 6:49 pm  #3

You CAN always buy your box... That's 24.99 per month saved.   Rogers Boxes are much overpriced anyhow in my view.

Regular packages are not going away, but the people going to SKINNY BASIC are likely people who don't watch much TV and only want what they want, are willing to buy their own box (upfront cost with no monthly fee), or people who don't care about HD or PVR services.    I also think with Bell and some others not charging per outlet you can likely argue with a company like ROGERS to waive that fee for the extra outlets if they want to keep your business.  

As well with a PVR, timeshifting is really no advantage to be honest.   I canceled that long ago when I got a PVR and don't really miss it.  

Sadly out of that $75.00 package you have now I bet there are loads you don't watch in it.   I rather pay for a channel I watch vs just have it there taking up space.   

For some, their old packages are the best ones, but for others, the new skinny basic is better for them.   The point is choice!  The mistake is some broadcasters will do is overcharge and end up causing accelerated cord cutting.  That's what I see.

I also feel you will see some specialty networks go dark... (also needs to happen) as there is some pointless, low rated ones that are only around because they are FORCED in the basic package and not watched.

Last edited by radiokid (February 17, 2016 6:51 pm)

February 17, 2016 8:46 pm  #4

radiokid wrote:

The mistake is some broadcasters will do is overcharge and end up causing accelerated cord cutting 

We are Canadian and are uncomfortable with haggling.    When someone learns that someone else is getting the same service for less money because that other party negotiated a sweet deal, the injured party may say to ones self "I don't care much about Wheel of Fortune or American Idol anymore so I'll just take whatever the rabbit ears bring in"

G. 

February 18, 2016 4:23 am  #5

radiokid wrote:

with a PVR, timeshifting is really no advantage to be honest.   I canceled that long ago when I got a PVR and don't really miss it.  

I ONLY Record on the American HD timeshift channels. It's great to get the American ads. 
(unless naturally, it's a Canadian TV program like Dragons Den or something, lol)
Timeshift is the only way to get them, since, thankfully, the sim sub does not kick in on late night (our time) content.

There's also something esle available on the Seattle NBC channel that Global blocks out when you try to tune into NBC Buffalo.
It's that quick behind the scenes thing for Saturday night live that Americans get to see that Canadians do not.

You never know. There just might be something in that "5%" that's different, but it's allowed by CRTC to be absent here because the programming is still 95% identical in a sim sub.

Also, what about scenes from next week? The Canadian channel cuts it off but the American channel goes over by a minute and you still get to see them... (see? It's not just about the ads!)
CTV and Global are most guilty of somehow deciding that it is more important to plug anything but the current program, blocking out "scenes from next week" for the current program, or the time is exactly on the hour and time for the sim sub of another channel to kick in, blocking out what was about to be scenes from next week for the current program.
Also, there are times when the American channel is going to show scenes from a movie coming soon, but the Canadian channel does not show it. (another great reason for timeshifting)

Last edited by Radiowiz (February 18, 2016 4:35 am)

February 18, 2016 10:44 am  #6

grilled.cheese wrote:

only people over 45 care about this issue

"don't trust anyone over 30" -- Jerry Rubin

February 18, 2016 11:12 am  #7

I see The Star has taken up this issue. In a story published on Wednesday, Business Reporter Michael Lewis asked Rogers why they were so apparently reluctant to announce or promote the coming changes with just a week or two to go. Their response was completely unbelievable and downright laughable. 

"Some commentators say providers may be may reluctant to offer the information in advance since the packages are to be priced below their current entry level offers. Rogers, however, says the timing is a result of technical and logistical issues."

Really? A company that runs Internet services, hundreds of websites and has virtually unlimited resources has "technical and logistical issues." Translation into English: "we don't wanna."

CRTC reminding providers of basic TV bundle deadline

February 18, 2016 11:12 am  #8

grilled.cheese wrote:

only people over 45 care about this issue

I'm under 45 BUDDY! 

February 18, 2016 11:54 am  #9

grilled.cheese wrote:

so am i and i dont give a flip about cable tv channels and pick and pay.  only old people like my parents watch tv and care about their cable packages.  

Again, I am under 45... What's good enough for you is not always good enough for everyone.