sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2016 11:37 pm  #1

Big Things Predicted For Ashley Rowe - But Is She Long For Buffalo?

Ex-CTV reporter Ashley Rowe is getting lots of publicity in her new role as anchor of Buffalo's Channel 7. But even more interesting than the linked puff piece below are the comments that accompany the article, with most viewers predicting her stay in the Queen City will be short, likely moving on to a big time anchor gig sooner than later. She naturally claims to be very happy in Western New York and insists she would love to stay for a while. 

Frankly, she never really stood out that much in Toronto, so I'm not sure why there's so much hype about her arrival in the U.S., but good for her for getting the gig and the resultant PR that seems to have engendered there. With this much hype, you gotta wonder if this isn't going to happen regardless of her success in Buffalo.

Buffalo News: Rowe to the rescue? Not quite – but for Channel 7, it’s a start

February 7, 2016 11:42 pm  #2

Re: Big Things Predicted For Ashley Rowe - But Is She Long For Buffalo?

I'm so glad you added the second paragraph because that's exactly what I was thinking as I read the first. She was okay but not breath taking.

I can think of people currently on CP24 and CTV who I'd put in a US major market before her.

Last edited by ig (February 7, 2016 11:43 pm)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

February 8, 2016 12:07 am  #3

But...Ig...she's on her way and the others aren't.  [at least not yet]  So more power to her.  I hope she kicks severe 'bottom'.  I've sat in smaller markets and watched the really talented on-air faces get swooped up...and there were also some I didn't think were all that exceptional who moved on up as well.

TV talent is still ripe for the picking.  Radio?  Nope.  Too expensive to move 'em...let alone wine, dine and properly pay them.  There's always some very obviously less talented individual willing to work for 1/2 price or less.  Oh that lucky audience!!!

February 8, 2016 8:48 am  #4

Just my 2 cents worth.  I wish Ashley had gotten the job sitting next to Ken.  Just personal taste I guess.

February 10, 2016 6:53 pm  #5

ig wrote:

I can think of people currently on CP24 who I'd put in a US major market before her.

Ashely Rowe may be generic but she's leaps and bounds ahead of the kindergarteners on CP24.

February 10, 2016 9:20 pm  #6

Since neither one of us consults a station who's postal code starts with a number, we'll never get a chance to figure out which one of us has a better eye for developing US talent .  But I stand by my statement.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 16, 2018 7:29 pm  #7

Wow. Has it been three years already? Ashley Rowe is getting ready to negotiate a new contract as she comes near the end of her first 3-year term at WKBW. Despite some speculation in this years-old thread that she was headed for bigger markets, it appears she wants to stay in Buffalo. Having a husband-to-be from there may play a big part in that decision. 

Again, I've occasionally watched her out of curiosity if nothing else. She's perfectly serviceable and certainly has talent. But being a top prospect for bigger markets? Still not sure I see it.

Buffalo News: Rowe, Channel 7 to talk new deal after her wedding this month

December 18, 2018 6:44 pm  #8

And the answer to that long ago question posed on this thread is - yes. She just signed for another three years at WKBW.

Buffalo News: Co-anchor Ashley Rowe agrees to new multiyear deal to remain at Channel 7