sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2016 11:00 pm  #1

What's On 90.7 FM ?

ok so during the last two or three weeks during my commute on the 401 around Bayview I keep picking up a station at 90.7 . In the morning they seem to play pop/rap and during the evening alternative. I heard Kate Bush's Running Up the Hill tonite. I googled the frequency and I know there's a couple of nearby CBC Radio Two Repeaters and I have often heard those. This broadcast can't be coming in from farther away due to atmospherics cos it's consistent day over day. There's supposed to be a high school station from Vaughan but the fact that the station only comes in from approx east of Yonge to West of Leslie along the 401 rules that out.

What's a rule in Canada about micro-broadcasters, Could this be a very low power micro broadcaster .?

I have not heard an ID or announcer but the station only lasts for a short distance.The signal is good where it does come in.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 29, 2016 12:11 am  #2

Re: What's On 90.7 FM ?

IDK but i believe anything under 5 watts is exempt from licencing.

January 29, 2016 10:43 am  #3

It's likely that pirate station that was busted a few years ago on that frequency. 

0.25 watts or under to my knowledge is the only thing exempt.   5watts requires a LPFM licence, which I bet you they don't have as it's too close to Jazz 91.1 to be approved without an big issue.

Last edited by radiokid (January 29, 2016 10:43 am)

January 29, 2016 10:56 am  #4

Ridge radio would have said some id's, but that's also too far away anyway. ( http://www.ridgeradio.com/ )
I think CBC tested 90.7 for a new home for their AM French station once and wasn't satisfied with the results.
Outside of those possibilities, I'm not sure what that station is.

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 29, 2016 11:29 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 1, 2016 11:29 pm  #5

90.7 is CBC 2 in the Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge-Guelph area. 

February 2, 2016 4:59 am  #6

Storm wrote:

90.7 is CBC 2 in the Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge-Guelph area. 

Yes, but then CBC 2 always identifies themselves. Fitz  has pointed out this is not the case for the current content found on 90,7 FM. 
It is always possible that maybe CBC is testing the signal once again to try and move the AM french to FM, but regardless of what is airing, I'm pretty sure they'd identify themselves...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 2, 2016 9:00 pm  #7

radiokid wrote:

It's likely that pirate station that was busted a few years ago on that frequency. 

0.25 watts or under to my knowledge is the only thing exempt.   5watts requires a LPFM licence, which I bet you they don't have as it's too close to Jazz 91.1 to be approved without an big issue.

"that pirate" is a likely candidate. The signal is steady but confined to a small area and has been broadcasting for at least three weeks. Penalty could not have been too severe if this is a repeat performance or.this could be a new pirate. Completely overtakes the weak CBC repeater signal over a short distance.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

February 2, 2016 9:04 pm  #8

to be clear, and to amend my previous post, i was incorrect.  CRTC policy is anything under 0.5w for less than 28 days is exempt, as long as it is for information purposes only.

February 8, 2016 12:24 pm  #9

Not to hijack....but what's on 101.3 in the Wasaga Beach area?

I heard a very wide variety of music, from Bad Company, to Johnny Cash, to a British Invasion group, to a new wave song, from starts to songs' end, with no commercial breaks, and in stereo. Reception was pretty poor for the most part. There was only a single ID of sorts that I heard while listening for ~ 30 mins on and off. I could not make out what was said because of the really poor signal quality at the particular moment of announcement.

Just curious if anyone if anyone else has heard it.

Cheers!

Last edited by DeepTracks (February 8, 2016 12:25 pm)