sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 5, 2015 9:45 am  #1

And the new number one radio station in Hamilton is...

Congratulations to KX 94.7! Who says (new) Country music is dead?

http://www.thespec.com/whatson-story/6158166-kx94-7-jumps-to-top-spot-in-hamilton/

Speaking of dead, CKOC and Funny 820 tied for last place with a point 9 share. 
Good going Bell! The oldies could have been kept alive (at least) on 820, 2.9 share and all...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 5, 2015 10:15 am  #2

Re: And the new number one radio station in Hamilton is...

Another side of this story is that the mega-giants were "beaten" by an independent operator.  Durham doesn't have "national brand managers", bloated executive suites, or U.S. consultants.  I wish I could say this is the way of the future...but the number of independents continues to dwindle.  Congrats to Kirk, Kassay and their team of broadcast professionals.   Good news on the Big Yellow Board for a change.

December 5, 2015 11:56 am  #3

It's great news, and I'm not taking away from it, but. (new that was coming right?)  nobody gives a fiddlers fuck about 12+.  

Unfortunately the only other numbers I've seen online are 25-44 which are obviously skewed as the sweet spot to fit a target demo for a broadcast consortium.  

I'd be interested in seeing 25-54 male and female for the Hamilton market.  I'm guessing when you add back the 10 years of older listeners, k-lite would (still) be the number one station in the market.

It's Such a slimy game .

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

December 5, 2015 12:22 pm  #4

I still miss The WAVE...  just say'in

December 5, 2015 7:24 pm  #5

Glen Warren wrote:

I still miss The WAVE...  just say'in

Listen online: http://www.wave.fm/ 
They could sure use your support!

December 6, 2015 8:56 am  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

Good going Bell! The oldies could have been kept alive (at least) on 820, 2.9 share and all...

I wonder how long it'll be before Bell goes crying to the CRTC, claiming those two stations are no longer economically viable to keep running and requests permission to shut them down?

PJ 

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

December 6, 2015 9:05 am  #7

They both may be completely viable depending on the business plan.  Some stations make more money for the companies by not being profitable. Not to mention a probable flip position in the future.

It's a Lot better to sit on something for ten years than not own it at all. And don't underestimate the power of a couple of good salesmen selling retail.  Agency buys aren't everything.

Numbers are a tiny part of the big picture outside the majors. And even there people understand how to sell outside Numeris and their "best guess" ratings system.   

Paul Jeffries wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

I wonder how long it'll be before Bell goes crying to the CRTC, claiming those two stations are no longer economically viable to keep running and requests permission to shut them down?

PJ 

December 6, 2015 12:30 pm  #8

IG  posted: "I'd be interested in seeing 25-54 male and female for the Hamilton market.  I'm guessing when you add back the 10 years of older listeners, k-lite would (still) be the number one station in the market." 

The answer is CHKX IS #1 Adults 25-54, Females 25-54, Males 25-54. A massive sweep for 94.7!

December 6, 2015 1:21 pm  #9

That's incredible. 

Sounds like a family got a book and just filled it with lines, but no matter, that's the system and we have to take what is given I guess.

Can't wait to see how the trend holds up.

ig.

Bristol wrote:

IG  posted: "I'd be interested in seeing 25-54 male and female for the Hamilton market.  I'm guessing when you add back the 10 years of older listeners, k-lite would (still) be the number one station in the market." 

The answer is CHKX IS #1 Adults 25-54, Females 25-54, Males 25-54. A massive sweep for 94.7!

December 6, 2015 3:49 pm  #10

December 8, 2015 8:47 am  #11

ig wrote:

Can't wait to see how the trend holds up.

Are you suggesting this is perhaps just the CISS 92 story all over again? lol