sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 2, 2015 5:06 pm  #1

Paul Godfrey and the Postmedia Empire

This is a link to an article in Saturday's Toronto Star about how Paul Godfrey has used his power/position to manipulate Postmedia to capitalize on his own assets while allowing the Postmedia to go into decline.
http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2015/11/27/postmedia-empire-falters-while-ceo-paul-godfrey-earns-millions.html

I texted John Moore this morning asking whether his Round Table panel (i.e. Christie Blatchford, Lawrie Goldstein) would consider discussing this article and its implications on the media in this country.  John  Moore responded that he did not think that the average listener cared that much about the newspaper business.  I guess John Moore and NT 1010 consider Trudau's nannies to be a more important issue than a faltering newspaper empire and its CEO.
Any comments?

I

December 2, 2015 6:31 pm  #2

Re: Paul Godfrey and the Postmedia Empire

I hate to say it but he is right.  Few people care about the business of radio.  No offence but people are not breaking down the doors to register here.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

December 2, 2015 6:39 pm  #3

mojo55 wrote:

I guess John Moore and NT 1010 consider Trudau's nannies to be a more important issue than a faltering newspaper empire and its CEO.
Any comments?

In talk radio you go with what the people want to talk about. So John Moore is right. People want to talk about tax payers footing the bill for Turdeau's nannies. For or against, it makes for a great day for talk radio as the man who competes against Moore at 640 likes to say.

December 5, 2015 8:51 pm  #4

Talk radio(as it's currently practiced)is USELESS as a format. Take hosts who have only a portion of the facts of a story(and more often than not come at it from an ideological point of view), and let people call in who have about as much knowledge about an issue as the host does...and possibly less. The callers are only there as entertainment...and it could be compared to rubber-necking at an auto accident.

JMO.

Last edited by ckg927 (December 5, 2015 8:52 pm)

December 5, 2015 11:56 pm  #5

ckg927 wrote:

Talk radio(as it's currently practiced)is USELESS as a format. Take hosts who have only a portion of the facts of a story(and more often than not come at it from an ideological point of view), and let people call in who have about as much knowledge about an issue as the host does...and possibly less. The callers are only there as entertainment...and it could be compared to rubber-necking at an auto accident.
JMO.

lol .. i see you've caught the Jeff McArthur show .. your description is bang on. 

Kelly Cutrara has been filling in for Jeff-M the last while & she's a big improvement.

Last edited by g121 (December 6, 2015 12:00 am)

December 9, 2015 2:11 pm  #6

g121 wrote:

ckg927 wrote:

JMO.

lol .. i see you've caught the Jeff McArthur show .. your description is bang on. 

Kelly Cutrara has been filling in for Jeff-M the last while & she's a big improvement.

^^THIS^^ Is exactly what I thought while reading CKG 927's post

Last edited by StevieB (December 9, 2015 2:12 pm)

I am Here, just not all there.

December 9, 2015 4:32 pm  #7

To G and Stevie: I'm using it in reference to my market(Buffalo), which only has one full-fledged talk station...and whose offerings range from mild conservative to bat-crap crazy conservative.

January 27, 2016 10:33 am  #8

mojo55 wrote:

This is a link to an article in Saturday's Toronto Star about how Paul Godfrey has used his power/position to manipulate Postmedia to capitalize on his own assets while allowing the Postmedia to go into decline.
http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2015/11/27/postmedia-empire-falters-while-ceo-paul-godfrey-earns-millions.html 

Paul Godfrey may be the new Rob Ford at the Toronto Star, as evidence by this latest and rare article from no less a personage than the paper's Chair of the Board. Pretty scathing stuff. 

Paul Godfrey, get your facts straight: Honderich