sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 23, 2015 10:43 am  #1

Mike Bullard & Jim Richards On CKTB

The fallout from the Bell Media "restructuring" (what an odious synonym for "firings") continues. Beginning this week, Mike Bullard and Jim Richards will turn up on CKTB in St. Catharines. Bullard's show, which airs on CFRB at noon, will be heard at 1 PM in St. Catharines, while the first hour of Richards's efforts will go at 2. Not sure how that will affect the content of either show, with the Niagara component added. 

Larry Fedoruk has fortunately survived the purge. His new shift is now 3-7 PM, presumably leaving longtime veteran Kevin Jack a casualty of the cuts. His name is off their show page list, although a very dated link remains at the bottom of the station's website.  

Rerolls continue from 7 -9 PM, followed by the replay of the previous night's Coast to Coast airs when hockey isn't on. 

CKTB Line-up  

Last edited by RadioActive (November 23, 2015 11:09 am)

November 23, 2015 1:59 pm  #2

Re: Mike Bullard & Jim Richards On CKTB

I may be late to the game on this, but what happened to Kristy Knight (KK) on CHTZ?

November 23, 2015 10:30 pm  #3

It's obviously a cost saving effort, but it sounded idiotic when they did it on Monday. Bullard's show was a reroll of his noon program on CFRB and was clearly not a proper fit for CKTB. There was not even an acknowledgement of the new arrangement in the part I heard, NewsTalk 1010 was continually referred to and a large part of the show was holding a contest that was only on for that hour - meaning the people listening in St. Kitts wouldn't be able to enter. Talk about ignoring and showing contempt for an audience!

And then for some reason they rebroadcast the first hour of Jim Richards from the mothership in Toronto, instead of joining the 2 PM hour live, which would have made a lot more sense. But it's all about "cents" at Bell this month, and that's literally the bottom line. Clearly, they don't care about their St. Catharines listeners with this move. 

Well, at least Larry Fedoruk is still there. Interestingly, he's the only on air personality at any Bell station I've heard even refer to what's going on. In his new time slot intro, he noted he wouldn't be responding to what he euphemistically called "the changes," telling listeners not to call about it. He also insisted he would turn any emails, Facebook questions or tweets over to his PD, and he wouldn't be responding to those. He half-joked that he didn't think the PD, would either! 

Last edited by RadioActive (November 23, 2015 11:43 pm)

November 24, 2015 6:28 pm  #4

I don`t get Mike Bullard.  Let`s leave it at that.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

November 24, 2015 7:37 pm  #5

Let's not leave it at that.    Bullard competes with the likes of Dale Goldhawk and Mike Stafford between noon & 1:00 (not competing with the tunes) so as a lifelong lover of T.O. radio, do you "get" Goldhawk or Stafford?

November 24, 2015 8:21 pm  #6

splunge wrote:

I may be late to the game on this, but what happened to Kristy Knight (KK) on CHTZ?

KK (97.7) and Kevin Jack (610 CKTB) were both fired.

Last edited by Johnny B (November 25, 2015 9:00 am)

November 24, 2015 10:17 pm  #7

geo wrote:

Let's not leave it at that.    Bullard competes with the likes of Dale Goldhawk and Mike Stafford between noon & 1:00 (not competing with the tunes) so as a lifelong lover of T.O. radio, do you "get" Goldhawk or Stafford?

Bullard is a comedian.  If I want funny, I can go to 820am.  He regularly claims ignorance about the topics he covers and uses the stories of the day solely as a platform to make jokes (which can often be derogatory in nature).  I don't have time for that.  If I want to be informed, I will listen to the other two host you've mentioned.  I'll also add that he continually interrupts and talks over Jim Richards when he's trying to do the promo for his show.  I don't listen to that anymore.  I am not here to bash Bullard.  I am just not a fan.  I listen to Goldhawk more now that I can get AM740 in the downtown area on FM.  Stafford is an excellent host but, more often than not, he does uninspiring topics (as others have mention on this and other boards).  

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (November 24, 2015 10:23 pm)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

November 25, 2015 10:40 am  #8

Leslieville Bill wrote:

Bullard is a comedian.  If I want funny, I can go to 820am.  I am not here to bash Bullard.  I am just not a fan

As someone who spends hours each day stuck in traffic, after listening to Goldhawk drone on for an hour and Stafford for two hours, I personally find Bullard a welcome change.     But I'm not here to bash Goldhawk and Stafford.   They have their place -- before lunch.     I personally have a strong appetite for Mike Bullard

Ms. C.      

November 25, 2015 3:10 pm  #9

If it wasn't for Bullard I never would have learned of Carl Jr. Burgers

November 25, 2015 9:35 pm  #10

Intellectual appetite, not chow 

November 26, 2015 3:26 am  #11

splunge wrote:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

November 26, 2015 12:16 pm  #12

I know it....KK was the last good thing left about CHTZ....

November 26, 2015 5:52 pm  #13

splunge wrote:

Paul Morris is still there...the last bastion I guess.

November 26, 2015 6:41 pm  #14

BoredOp wrote:

splunge wrote:

Paul Morris is still there...the last bastion I guess.

Paulie is ok.  he's no KK,  long for the days of iron Mike and Joe Kayhill....

December 9, 2015 9:20 pm  #15

I'm really sad about KK. She's one of my favorites. I love her "I don't give a rat's a$$ attitude" I only listened to hear her and Iron Mike of course. 

December 10, 2015 10:54 am  #16

From another thread where I posted...."Back when 95.3 CJXY was a rock station, with the nickname Y95, Kristie Knight of 977HitsFM used to call their main switchboard during her show, wait for the person to answer "Good afternoon - Y95...", at which point she would immediately come back with her reply of "Exactly!". Kristie's one word retort implying that the "Y95..." telephone greeting was posed as a question always put a smile on my face. You could hear in Kristie's voice the great delight she took in pestering that station down-the-dial.

I too miss her and wish her all the best!

February 19, 2016 8:13 am  #17

A KK update.

On my way into work yesterday (Feb 18th) I heard her on Giant FM filling-in for Chrishon.

The Giant's website has nothing on her but when i Google searched I found this http://tunein.com/radio/KK-Show-with-Kristy-Knight-p470680/ 

I have to believe that this site is not being updated.

Last edited by DeepTracks (February 19, 2016 8:16 am)

February 20, 2016 2:08 pm  #18

Bullard's recent appearances on CBC Radio made the otherwise unlistenable "Because News" actually mildly entertaining. His improv and quick witted timing really shone there, especially compared to the others around him. A shame his noon hour thing doesn't utilize more of that.

February 20, 2016 3:26 pm  #19

verger wrote:

Bullard's recent appearances on CBC Radio made the otherwise unlistenable "Because News" actually mildly entertaining. His improv and quick witted timing really shone there, especially compared to the others around him. A shame his noon hour thing doesn't utilize more of that.

I caught him for a few moments in the 11:00 pm hour of last night's CFRB program. The new host's name escapes me. Bullard dropped in to lend some much-needed support, but my, my, my. By 15 minutes in, Mike sounded like he wanted to choke the host....or maybe it was me. I dunno. I was tired.

Last edited by Dial Twister (February 20, 2016 3:26 pm)