sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 22, 2015 11:02 am  #1

Free Sci Fi Channel Coming to Buffalo OTA

The latest digital subcarrier coming from Buffalo could be a good one. It's called "Comet TV," an all sci-fi network that will debut as a subcarrer on Channel 49.3 out of Buffalo - one of the stronger signals into the GTA. It's due to sign on October 31st - appropriately, Halloween, even if it's not clear that's when WNYO will actually add it. There's not a lot about exactly what they'll show, although expect a lot of great and also cheesy sci fi movies (including the James Bond classic "Moonraker" as its debut feature,) all the various flavours of the "Stargate" TV series and the cable classic "Dead Like Me."

There's also something called "Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot," which is an ancient (1968 or so) English dubbing of an old Japanese cartoon. And "Men Into Space" is a 1950s era TV series about what people back then thought the future of space exploration would look like. It hasn't been seen around these parts in a very long time. 

The Buffalo News says The Outer Limits will also be part of its regular programming, although it's not clear if it's the 60s original or the Showtime cable remake.(Both were pretty good shows.) It took a bit of searching, but I finally found its November schedule, which is very heavy on films, and Outer Limits and Stargate reruns. Here's hoping they add a lot more in the coming months.

Comet TV Schedule

It's from Sinclair (which owns WNYO) and MGM, with the latter having a ton of material in its vaults.

There are now around 20 different subcarriers of varying quality available for those with TV antennas in the GTA, all completely free and none on cable in this country. Another reason to consider putting up a tower with an amplifier if you're in the position to do so.  

Last edited by RadioActive (October 22, 2015 11:30 am)

October 22, 2015 12:03 pm  #2

Re: Free Sci Fi Channel Coming to Buffalo OTA

I'll stick to my $75 monthly cable thanks.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 22, 2015 12:36 pm  #3

Depending on your set-up, there's no reason you can't have both. The antenna expense (and they're not all that costly) is one time only and the stick lasts for decades with no maintenance or upgrade needed.

October 31, 2015 10:53 pm  #4

Comet TV went live on Saturday, as announced. It's on 49.3, but those with antennas may have to manually rescan their channels in order for some televisions and DVRs to find it. 

November 17, 2015 8:46 pm  #5

And it would not surprise me one bit to see Comet TV land on Verizon FiOS and/or Time Warner Cable soon; both of them have good track records of putting subchannels on their cable systems.

That said, Comet's REALLY going to have to acquire more product and fast.

November 17, 2015 11:47 pm  #6

ckg927 wrote:

And it would not surprise me one bit to see Comet TV land on Verizon FiOS and/or Time Warner Cable soon; both of them have good track records of putting subchannels on their cable systems.

That said, Comet's REALLY going to have to acquire more product and fast.

As long as this channel is not a direct threat to another channel, I don't see why not?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 18, 2015 12:12 am  #7

I have discovered, unfortunately that the Outer Limits episodes running on Comet are not the original 1963-65 that ran on ABC,