sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 17, 2015 10:32 pm  #1

Will Brampton & Burlington Be Getting New Radio Stations?

The CRTC will answer that question this coming week, when applications for two precious frequencies come before the Commission. In the case of the former,  no less than three applicants are trying to grab 1350 AM in Brampton. The first two are ethnic stations, while the third posits a bizarrre news/talk world music format amalgam. (I can hear it now - "What did you think of the election results? Call and tell us - but first, a selection from Bollywood!" Sounds strange to me.) Still, with a promise that 39% of programming would be in a "third language," I'm guessing there won't be a lot of difference between the trio going for the gold. Not that many people in other parts of the GTA will be able to hear whoever wins. All of them are looking at 1,000 watts day and only 38 at night. 

Brampton Radio Competition

The Burlington application is a lot more interesting. Byrnes Communications, which owns 104.7 Heart FM in Woodstock, is proposing what it calls a "commercial mainstream music station" for the Hamilton market. Last January, the CRTC put out a request for interested parties to comment on whether Burlington in particular and Hamilton in general could sustain yet another radio signal. They're scheduled to reveal the results of what they found in the week ahead.

But if Byrnes does eventually get what it wants, chances are many of us in the GTA won't be able to hear their eventual output, either. The company is applying for one of the last spots available in the area - 88.5, which also happens to be where York Region's CKDX, aka Jewel FM, currently sits. The power of the new station, if granted on the same frequency, would be only 80 watts. And I'm guessing it would be aimed away from here to protect the Evanov station. And I'm willing to bet both Bell and Corus have or will file interventions and are opposed to the idea.

Burlington Radio Survey Results Coming 

After last week, when the Commission didn't put out a single news release on anything for five days, there should be some far more interesting hearings ahead.

Last edited by RadioActive (October 17, 2015 10:37 pm)