sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2015 2:03 pm  #2

Re: Leafs ditch radio crew off team charters

Bowen hasn't been in the same building as the Leafs for years.  A least now he will have an excuse for calling players by the wrong name.

September 28, 2015 9:12 pm  #3

[Via TorontoSun]

Maybe they had been planning to give Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph a big screen TV – perhaps even one with high definition! – when they were going to force them into the indignity of calling Leafs road games from a dark Toronto studio.

Maybe Rogers and Bell even thought that it wouldn't make a difference, that listeners wouldn't notice or care.

Boy, were they wrong.

And after a day of outrage at the insult sent to long-time voice of the Leafs Bowen and his witty colour sidekick Ralph, the folks that run Rogers and Bell came to what was left of their senses late Monday.

Yes, Ralph and Bowen will be on the road again for all 41 Leafs regular-season away games. And yes, they will be able to do their jobs as professionals. But until the issue exploded, it didn't look like it was going to happen.

A stunning collision of events over the past few weeks once again left a fresh batch of egg on the face of the storied franchise. How could it be that one of the richest franchises in North American pro sports actually thought having a radio crew trying to call half of the team's games on the cheap would fly?

Let us count the ways of how the near debacle unfolded.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 29, 2015 10:56 am  #4

why the heck isn't Joe Bowen doing the TV broadcasts.  Joe's enthusiasm makes the game fun & his chatter is "Harry Neale" epic.  given a choice between the likes of "paint dry boring" Romanuk, Hughson, etc, i'll take Joe every time. 

cheers from Toronto .. 

September 29, 2015 12:11 pm  #5

g121 wrote:

why the heck isn't Joe Bowen doing the TV broadcasts.  Joe's enthusiasm makes the game fun & his chatter is "Harry Neale" epic.  given a choice between the likes of "paint dry boring" Romanuk, Hughson, etc, i'll take Joe every time. 

cheers from Toronto .. 

You answered that with your signature.  The TV broadcasts (save for Leafs TV) have to be far more neutral than the radio play-by-play.  Joe and Jim gear their style toward a Leafs fandom.

September 29, 2015 1:58 pm  #6

maybo wrote:

You answered that with your signature.  The TV broadcasts (save for Leafs TV) have to be far more neutral than the radio play-by-play.  Joe and Jim gear their style toward a Leafs fandom.

is Joe "pro-Leaf", absolutely but i've heard him call-out poor Leaf play many times .. he's certainly nowhere near as extreme as say Bruins or Flyers announcers .. 

my all-time favourite announcer was Danny Gallivan .. as a Leaf fan, listening to Pro-Hab Gallivan actually enhanced my enjoyment of the game.

it's not "homerism" i'm looking for ... what i seek is enthusiastic, capable announcers who genuinely\noticeably enjoy the game .. it's entertainment, have fun!! .. 

cheers from Toronto .. 

September 30, 2015 6:29 pm  #7

No argument about their enthusiam, that's for sure!  Joe cut his teeth with the Sudbury Wolves and he was the only play-by-play guy in the league at the time (late '70s) who worked without a colour announcer.  Not an easy task, and sitting beside him when the Wolves played in London, there was no question he was on his way to hockey's top league.  And I shared the buses with Ralphie in the early '80s.  Every oince in awhile, he would walk to the front of the bus after a win on a long road trip back to Ottawa , grab the bus P.A. microphone and start doing impressions of everyone on board.  We should have had to pay for the privilege,,,

Last edited by maybo (September 30, 2015 6:30 pm)

October 21, 2015 1:37 am  #8

It surprises me fans care so much. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 21, 2015 1:41 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 21, 2015 10:49 am  #9

With the way the Leafs have been playing thus far....  one might thinks that Kessel was still on the team....