sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 28, 2019 8:02 am  #1

War of words and a call out on how CNN does reporting heats up!

Fox News host Tucker Carlson calls out Jeff Zucker for how they "Misled" their audience on the Muller investigation...

With the political tensions getting a bit more juicier in the States, as a viewer who do you begin to believe? Is Fox News more accurate in the reporting of the news and inner machinations of what is actually happening in the U.S.? Or is CNN the trusted source.

To me this means we need to do our own homework and not tap into sound bites to make our own conclusions.

Here is more on the story...and below is a quote from Steve Bannon suggesting the Political scene in the U.S. is going to be vitriolic year ahead.

Buckle up!

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/435789-tucker-carlson-goes-on-anti-cnn-tear-jeff-zucker-intentionally-misled-his

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 28, 2019 10:06 am  #2

Re: War of words and a call out on how CNN does reporting heats up!

The issue is not as clear cut as this makes it seem and I would say the Hill is a Fox friendly outlet. What we have so far is Attorney General Bill Barr's 4 page summation of the Mueller Report. Barr, who wrote a very anti Mueller report  article before he was appointed AG, is the one who exonerated Trump of both collusion and obstruction.

Mueller on the other hand did not exonerate Trump on Obstruction, We need to see the full 700 page report.

Last edited by Fitz (March 28, 2019 10:07 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

March 28, 2019 11:16 am  #3

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

.. Is Fox News more accurate in the reporting of the news and inner machinations of what is actually happening in the U.S.? .. " 

I find it extraordinary that anyone could actually type that out unless they're milking sarcasm.

Have you watched Carlson or Hannity?

CNN may indeed be left of centre but they are miles more truthful/accurate than Fox. 

March 28, 2019 11:32 am  #4

here's a little gem of Tucker telling his guest to "go F*** yourself"  (@3:50 mark) ..

here's Carlson defending Roger Stone & urging Trump to pardon him .. 
https://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-urges-donald-trump-pardon-roger-stone-russia-probe-1378417

these truly are deplorable people .. 

Last edited by g121 (March 28, 2019 11:32 am)

March 28, 2019 3:07 pm  #5

I'd like to see less opinion, and more energy, time and resources put into actual investigative journalism. I am so tired of all the talking heads commenting like it's a sporting event. Journalists need to do whatever they possibly can to unearth and pore over documents, check with true primary sources, question and cross-examine sources, follow the money, follow trails, make and explore connections, keep an eye on new legislation that's otherwise squeaking through under the radar, and so on. And they should do this de facto, routine, for any and all presidents, in any and every hall of power. And when their FoI (freedom of information) requests are denied, they should double-down and investigate harder knowing there's something possibly being hidden. While there is good investigative journalism, in fact some great investigative journalism, happening, there's not nearly enough. And what there is is being absolutely buried by endless blabber, both by the likes of Fox and CNN...

Last edited by Saul (March 28, 2019 3:09 pm)

March 28, 2019 3:42 pm  #6

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

I don't disagree with anything posters have said thus far on this thread, but there's a part of me that feels I've been had by mainstream media - MSNBC in particular. With that in mind, this discussion on Democracy Now is sobering - specifically the comments made by Glenn Greenwald.

Thank you for this Tim. I always liked Amy Goodman and that was a great and thought provoking discussion. Democracy Now is carried locally on CIUT daily.

Last edited by Fitz (March 28, 2019 3:59 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

March 28, 2019 4:38 pm  #7

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

I don't disagree with anything posters have said thus far on this thread, but there's a part of me that feels I've been had by mainstream media - MSNBC in particular. With that in mind, this discussion on Democracy Now is sobering - specifically the comments made by Glenn Greenwald.

If you fell victim to MSNBC's histrionics, you ultimately have no one to blame but yourself. This is a "news" outlet that made headlines out of Trump eating dinner without the press, as well as sensationalizing the acquisition of a single page of a decade old tax return that showed no wrongdoing. 

March 28, 2019 10:01 pm  #8

CNN is a fucking disgrace

And Trump will kick them in the nuts - again - with a second term in 2020

March 29, 2019 11:03 am  #9

Journalists used to pride themselves at parking their political biases at the door when they entered the newsroom. No more. The on-air cheerleading for one party or another is nauseating.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 29, 2019 11:20 am  #10

I would love to find a station or outlet that just reports the facts, without trying to tell me what they think it means - and spinning it one way or the other.

They used to exist. I'm not sure I could name one anymore that does it now.

March 31, 2019 2:50 am  #11

Retaw wrote:

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

If you fell victim to MSNBC's histrionics, you ultimately have no one to blame but yourself. This is a "news" outlet that made headlines out of Trump eating dinner without the press, as well as sensationalizing the acquisition of a single page of a decade old tax return that showed no wrongdoing. 

Let's not forget Fox News sensationalizing the coverage of Obama "scandals" like bowling a gutter ball and leaning slightly forward while shaking someone's hand.

March 31, 2019 6:04 pm  #12

March 31, 2019 6:16 pm  #13

Yes people make mistakes.

Possibly a low level intern working graphics that shift -- who knows?

I've seen shitty graphics and spelling errors etc. on just about every tv station you can name.

I often continue watching to see if the mistake is fixed.

Sometimes it is -- sometimes not.

There's a YouTube slip of Mr. Obama during a campaign stop in Oregon in 2008.

Told the crowd he'd visited 57 states.

Like I said folks make mistakes...

March 31, 2019 8:12 pm  #14

Your response prompted me to write an old friend who used to be the head of video graphics (sometimes called “keys” or “supers”) for one of Toronto’s big TV newsrooms. Here’s what he told me via email.

---------------------------

Your poster is right – mistakes do happen. The trick is to keep them to a bare minimum and as he correctly points out, not to let them repeat themselves. One mistaken entry in the computer can be reproduced over and over and over, especially if you’re doing a news wheel and it comes up many times. Once it’s in the system, sometimes the only ones who notice are the viewers.

The real trick is catching the errors before they make it on screen. But it also helps if you’re dealing with people who know something – anything – about the news and the people who appear in it.

A long time ago, around the early 80s, I was working for a newsroom in which the editors had to fill out the supers on something we called “cue sheets.” The problem was – and I don’t completely blame them for it – they were tape cutters and not technically news people, so they were hardly experts. In fact, I always suspected that some of them never actually watched the news, and thus didn’t have a clue about basic knowledge, like who’s who.

I once got a sheet from an editor that read, “Mayor Al Lastman.” Not Mel. Al.

Then there was the editor who handed me viz of a Middle East attack with the words “Jerusalem, Beirut” written on it. That’s wrong in so many ways, I can’t even begin to list them all.  

This happened over and over and if you weren’t on top of it and just figured they were right, you could easily let that get on the air. Which, needless to say, seriously destroys your credibility.

But it wasn’t just the editors. We once hired a new graphics guy who wrote “Kween St.” as the scene of an accident. I caught it before it went on TV, but I just about exploded on him. “How could you not know how to spell “Queen?” I demanded, incredulous.

His answer still sends chills up my spine.

“We were taught to sound out everything phonetically in school,” he told me. “And that’s how it sounds.”

To that guy’s immense credit, he took a crash course in spelling and eventually became one of our most reliable people. But it didn’t start out that way.

So yeah, I agree mistakes can happen. Especially when you’re constantly on the air. No one is perfect. I once had a brain cramp moment and accidentally supered a location as “Qew Gardens” instead of “Kew Gardens", because there’d been an accident on the QEW and it was obviously still on my mind.

But a lot is just based on plain ignorance. (Given what I saw over more than a decade of doing this every day, I can’t help but wonder if the person who put up that Fox disaster honestly thought those three countries were part of Mexico.)

It’s not a job for everyone. You have to know who people are and have a basic familiarity with geography, history, politics and past headlines. Although we didn’t have it back then, Google can help, but you still have to know it’s wrong to look it up. Not to mention the incredible time pressure of getting it all ready in time, or that social media can be merciless on things like this.  

It can really make a station or a network look bad when careless errors make it to air.

Just ask Al Lastman when he’s traveling to Jerusalem, Beirut.  

March 31, 2019 9:49 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

Your response prompted me to write an old friend who used to be the head of video graphics (sometimes called “keys” or “supers”) for one of Toronto’s big TV newsrooms. Here’s what he told me via email.

---------------------------

Your poster is right – mistakes do happen. The trick is to keep them to a bare minimum and as he correctly points out, not to let them repeat themselves. One mistaken entry in the computer can be reproduced over and over and over, especially if you’re doing a news wheel and it comes up many times. Once it’s in the system, sometimes the only ones who notice are the viewers.

The real trick is catching the errors before they make it on screen. But it also helps if you’re dealing with people who know something – anything – about the news and the people who appear in it.

A long time ago, around the early 80s, I was working for a newsroom in which the editors had to fill out the supers on something we called “cue sheets.” The problem was – and I don’t completely blame them for it – they were tape cutters and not technically news people, so they were hardly experts. In fact, I always suspected that some of them never actually watched the news, and thus didn’t have a clue about basic knowledge, like who’s who.

I once got a sheet from an editor that read, “Mayor Al Lastman.” Not Mel. Al.

Then there was the editor who handed me viz of a Middle East attack with the words “Jerusalem, Beirut” written on it. That’s wrong in so many ways, I can’t even begin to list them all.  

This happened over and over and if you weren’t on top of it and just figured they were right, you could easily let that get on the air. Which, needless to say, seriously destroys your credibility.

But it wasn’t just the editors. We once hired a new graphics guy who wrote “Kween St.” as the scene of an accident. I caught it before it went on TV, but I just about exploded on him. “How could you not know how to spell “Queen?” I demanded, incredulous.

His answer still sends chills up my spine.

“We were taught to sound out everything phonetically in school,” he told me. “And that’s how it sounds.”

To that guy’s immense credit, he took a crash course in spelling and eventually became one of our most reliable people. But it didn’t start out that way.

So yeah, I agree mistakes can happen. Especially when you’re constantly on the air. No one is perfect. I once had a brain cramp moment and accidentally supered a location as “Qew Gardens” instead of “Kew Gardens", because there’d been an accident on the QEW and it was obviously still on my mind.

But a lot is just based on plain ignorance. (Given what I saw over more than a decade of doing this every day, I can’t help but wonder if the person who put up that Fox disaster honestly thought those three countries were part of Mexico.)

It’s not a job for everyone. You have to know who people are and have a basic familiarity with geography, history, politics and past headlines. Although we didn’t have it back then, Google can help, but you still have to know it’s wrong to look it up. Not to mention the incredible time pressure of getting it all ready in time, or that social media can be merciless on things like this.  

It can really make a station or a network look bad when careless errors make it to air.

Just ask Al Lastman when he’s traveling to Jerusalem, Beirut.  

What a great read that was! Thanks for posting it!

And if you haven't read it then please do...

April 19, 2019 9:11 am  #16

The redacted Mueller Report is out now and you can read the 400 page report yourself but what is clear is that AG Barr whitewashed the findings in his initial four page summary and at his press conference yesterday.

Cool Airchecks and More:

April 19, 2019 10:21 am  #17

unclefester wrote:

CNN is a fucking disgrace

And Trump will kick them in the nuts - again - with a second term in 2020

Holy crap I just noticed.

A lot of kicking going on around here

I've got Trump kicking CNN in the nuts in the body of my text.

And then I quote Robert Holiday kicking an underling in the ass in my signature.

Ain't that a kick in the head?

If anyone is offended by the imagery I apologise 

I promise I'm really not promoting any sort of physical violence whatsoever.

April 19, 2019 12:07 pm  #18

Mistakes with supers do happen.  But the one I found to be most embarrassing was at the station I was working at the night Princess Diana was killed.    On the air immediately with this breaking news and the banner at the bottom of the screen identified her as Princess of Whales.

April 19, 2019 1:40 pm  #19

Fitz wrote:

The redacted Mueller Report is out now and you can read the 400 page report yourself but what is clear is that AG Barr whitewashed the findings in his initial four page summary and at his press conference yesterday.

Or felt he couldn't proceed with what he said. You must be a legal expert.