sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 5, 2018 12:39 pm  #1

How Smooth Jazz Took Over the 90s

For those who liked the genre (me included), here's an interesting description of the journey including an interesting theory about why it died (hint: it involves radio).

I remember business and pleasure trips to the US in the 90s always included renting a car and immediately finding a smooth jazz station. After all, we didn't have smooth jazz here until Wave 94-7.

Last edited by Tim Brown 2016 (December 5, 2018 12:52 pm)

December 5, 2018 5:47 pm  #2

Re: How Smooth Jazz Took Over the 90s

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

After all, we didn't have smooth jazz here until Wave 94-7.

WSJZ had a short life in the mid 90's @ 92.9 FM in Buffalo. (aka WBUF) 

December 5, 2018 5:59 pm  #3

Video nails it about the switch to PPM killing it, though demographics would have done it by now anyway.

December 6, 2018 9:21 am  #4

107.7 Buffalo ran as "The Wave" for several years as an early SJ/New AC station.  I believe the call sign was WBMW.  Prior to that the call sign was WUWU.  Reception was very spotty because the transmitter is located down at Weathersfield NY, between Buffalo and Rochester.  I believe most of the programming was satellite fed.  Perhaps Broadcast Architecture or an earlier provider - Jones?

December 6, 2018 10:39 am  #5

WUWU - what a fantastic station under Gary Storm and Bob Allen at 107.7

Tvguy you are forgetting that there was a classic rock format known as WBYR- The Bear. Jim Santella was there for a bit. I remember listening to his psyche era show on Sunday nights. The station lasted from 1986-88. I remember a smooth jazz type format in the waning days as WUWU.

The station's signal into Toronto was always weak and eventually obliterated by CKDO FM in the eastern part of the GTA.

Last edited by Fitz (December 6, 2018 10:40 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 6, 2018 11:53 am  #6

Fitz, 107.7 went through many format changes and ownership changes.  I recall in the "early" days of FM, it was part of an odd-ball simulcast network which I think was beautiful music.  Perhaps it was the "great northeast radio network".  But that's going back to the 1960's...when 103.3 was the legendary "Whistle - WYSL" I think Jim Santella worked at 103.3 as well.   I have a box of airchecks somewhere in the basement of 107.7 and WSJZ with the late Fred Claustine.  Also played rock on WBUF, and was a mainstay of 106.5 WADV (that's going way back) when it was sort of adult standards/jazz/big band.

December 6, 2018 12:03 pm  #7

tvguy wrote:

I have a box of airchecks somewhere in the basement of 107.7 and WSJZ with the late Fred Claustine.  Also played rock on WBUF, and was a mainstay of 106.5 WADV (that's going way back) when it was sort of adult standards/jazz/big band.

I use to enjoy WADV back in the 70s - even as a teenager. Any chance of you having the time to digitize those airchecks? As I'm sure Fitz must appreciate, it's a slow, tedious process but I think people would really appreciate it.

I may even be pursuaded to do a website and host the files (I run an online media business).

Last edited by Tim Brown 2016 (December 6, 2018 12:06 pm)

December 6, 2018 12:17 pm  #8

tvguy wrote:

Fitz, 107.7 went through many format changes and ownership changes.  I recall in the "early" days of FM, it was part of an odd-ball simulcast network which I think was beautiful music.  Perhaps it was the "great northeast radio network".  But that's going back to the 1960's...when 103.3 was the legendary "Whistle - WYSL" I think Jim Santella worked at 103.3 as well.   I have a box of airchecks somewhere in the basement of 107.7 and WSJZ with the late Fred Claustine.  Also played rock on WBUF, and was a mainstay of 106.5 WADV (that's going way back) when it was sort of adult standards/jazz/big band.

Jim Santella definitely worked at 103.3 during the WYSL/WPHD era and in fact he quit the station in protest as they were taking a commercial turn away from free form in 1972.

Would love to hear some of those air checks that you have as well.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/