sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 10, 2015 11:13 am  #1

Another Longtime Ontario AM Station Bites The Dust

It's been on the air since 1928, and it's been the first broadcast home of such legends as Bob Bratina and Lloyd Robertson. But soon, CJCS- AM in Stratford will cease to exist. The CRTC has granted its owner, Vista Radio, permission to switch the station to 107.1 FM with an ERP of 900 watts, a vast improvement over its moribund 1240 signal.

Gone with the AM signal is the format, with oldies giving way to - surprise! - a rock format aimed at a 25-and-up demo. The 1240 TX will simulcast the newcomer for three months, at which point it will disappear from the dial. But it won't completely abandon all its roots. According to the CRTC:

"The station will also provide information on local community events and activities and daily agricultural reports, as well as support emerging rock artists by means of interviews, live in-studio performances, on-air promotions and the station’s website."   

I'm sure those agricultural reports on a rocker will go over well - although I suppose they could be in the running for the coveted Silver Sow Award!

CJCS Converting To FM Band

[EDIT] Interestingly, Vista also operates CHGK-FM at 107.7 under the brand "2dayFM,"  which means both stations will be right beside each other at that end of the dial. 

Last edited by RadioActive (August 10, 2015 2:36 pm)

August 20, 2018 4:36 pm  #2

Re: Another Longtime Ontario AM Station Bites The Dust

CJCS 1240 went silent sometime ago. I just checked to confirm. Can't recall the exact date.

For 250 watts that signal got out pretty well through the day. Easily receivable in Sarnia / Grand Bend if the noise floor was not too high.

Their 900 watt 107.1 signal will crash into WSAQ from Port Huron MI before you get to London. Also there is a first adjacent at 106.9 in London and a second adjacent from 106.7 in Kitchener. That 900 watts will cover Stratford (which I guess is all they want) but not carry nearly as far as the 1240 signal.

August 20, 2018 4:48 pm  #3

The saddest day was when 1450 CHUC shutdown. People's thirst for obits and buy, trade or sell programming was never satisfied with its "replacement".

August 20, 2018 6:04 pm  #4

darcyh wrote:

CJCS 1240 went silent sometime ago. I just checked to confirm. Can't recall the exact date.

Don't let the posting date fool you. This thread was originally put up in August 2015. 

August 20, 2018 8:34 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

darcyh wrote:

Don't let the posting date fool you. This thread was originally put up in August 2015. 

I was fooled by the subject line and was wondering if 1580-CKDO was next (seeing as they already have an FM signal).

A DXer would not miss them (unless he couldn't get his fix of Edward Bear, April Wine, Trooper and Jerry Doucette on 1460-CJOY).