sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 15, 2018 11:00 am  #1

Everything Old Is New Again: Radio Maker Brings Back Cassette Player

I guess if vinyl isn't dead, then maybe the old cassette isn't, either. 

And now radio manufacturer Crosley is taking a huge leap of faith by coming out with a new fangled (it can also take a thumb drive and an SD card) but very old fashioned radio - one that includes a cassette player. 

I suppose those with ancient cassette tapes and no way to play them would like this thing and they're cheap enough. Both models sell for under $100 U.S. But my question is: where in the world would you be able to buy the cassettes to use in the radio if you don't have any now?

Is the Cassette Player Making a Comeback? Crosley Radio Seems to Think So

November 15, 2018 11:11 am  #2

Re: Everything Old Is New Again: Radio Maker Brings Back Cassette Player

You can find used cassettes at a lot of thrift shops and in Toronto there is the Dupe Shop which sells new cassettes.

Last edited by Fitz (November 15, 2018 11:11 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 15, 2018 11:21 am  #3

You know Sony has had a stereo boom box with a cassette and CD player pretty much since cassettes bit the dust early last decade.  I remember them still being at Future Shop in Richmond Hill, before they closed.  What was that? 2014?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

November 15, 2018 11:44 am  #4

I still have about half a dozen old TDK 90-minute cassettes that have never been opened somewhere upstairs. Doubt I'll ever use them, but for some reason, I've never thrown them out. 

November 15, 2018 2:03 pm  #5

I have gently used but like-new Maxell Type II's (XLII) which would still make a nice recording.  But even on Kijiji it seems you can't even give 'em away.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

November 15, 2018 4:08 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

But my question is: where in the world would you be able to buy the cassettes to use in the radio if you don't have any now?

The smaller indie record labels are now releasing new music on cassette; there's a small (probably ironic) resurgence for them. I'm guessing that's where this is aimed.

November 15, 2018 5:46 pm  #7

Vinyl is king.

November 15, 2018 11:38 pm  #8

Why buy a cassette player when you can convert cassette to MP3? Those have been around for a while now.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 15, 2018 11:42 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

where in the world would you be able to buy the cassettes to use in the radio if you don't have any now?

Sonic Boom (Spadina and Queen) has tons of used cassettes and also BMV on Bloor near Spadina (in the Basement)
to name just a mere few places. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 16, 2018 9:20 am  #10

Well; because my career in Radio has been a long one, I've gotten a ton of freebies; over the years.  A few years back I filled 6 garbage bags of cassettes and threw them out.  When my son found out he freaked.  Now I had these cassettes; in either album or CD as well.  Didn't feel I needed all 3 mediums. I will admit that my Blonde On Blonde cassette sounded Great!.  Still have that one.

November 16, 2018 9:43 am  #11

I maintain a healthy lead over the hipster wanna-bes. I collect compact discs.

November 16, 2018 12:29 pm  #12

Have had cassette players since the mid 1970's and used them mosty for home recordings from records and radio. In the 1980's I bought a few factory recorded tapes for the car and still have most.. The pics actually look better than the sound of most. The Moody Blues album still sounds nice though when I sampled it a few months ago.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 16, 2018 1:04 pm  #13

I've saved all my vinyl. Scaled back cassettes to a couple of bankers boxes - stuff we really wanted (some of it is unobtainable anywhere else). The exceedingly few CDs I'm buying (1-2 a year at best) are at live concerts (for instance) where it's something I really want.  Game plan is to digitize all of what I truly want to listen to, if I ever find the time, and trash the rest. I also have a few gems I don't listen to terribly often but will never surrender. Red-coloured 33s with McCarthy hearing proceedings, for instance. Things like that will get digitized (unless I look and find them online) but will keep the vinyl.

Funny that I've just bought a car - Subaru Impreza - and chose the second lowest / cheapest of what they call trims. The audio system in that trim does NOT include CD. I could have paid $3000 more for the next highest trim, but there was nothing other than the CD player that I really wanted. No CD but it does have AM 

November 16, 2018 6:43 pm  #14

To quote Alan Partridge, Wings were the band that the Beatles could have been.