sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 11, 2018 8:35 pm  #1

Rare Blast From The Past Music Footage A Part Of New CBC Series

It's not often a CBC-TV show gets me curious but one that has attracted a least a modicum of interest is something called "From The Vaults," in which the Corporation digs through long unseen performances in its archives and plays them for the first time in decades. The show starts this coming Thursday (Nov. 15) with Muddy Waters, Sammy Davis Jr. and others being showcased. 

But the one that may really catch your eye airs on Nov. 22nd, and features a very young The Who (who, in the words of "My Generation," were hoping to die before they got old - too late now!) a new musician named James Taylor and from deep in the 50s, the Crew Cuts, whose "Sh-Boom!" remains one of rock's earliest hits.

Another episode, on December 6th, features "newcomers" The Guess Who, Gordon Lightfoot and Crowbar. 

And the December 13th finale promises Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Paul Anka and the then-fresh faced Jefferson Airplane.   

The full lowdown is here and the six-part series airs Thursday nights at 9 PM, with a two parter an hour earlier on its final night, Dec. 13th.

November 15, 2018 11:42 am  #2

Re: Rare Blast From The Past Music Footage A Part Of New CBC Series

Speaking of "From The Vaults," I've long heard that when CBC TV originally signed on in 1952, their very first image was the station I.D shown upside down and backwards. I've often wondered if that was an apocryphal story until I came across an item on the first night of CBC TV on their website.

And sure enough, it happened, not once but twice - they displayed it wrong on two occasions, the first two images ever seen on the Toronto station. 

Some would suggest they've been getting it backwards ever since!

November 15, 2018 11:55 am  #3

I should add that in 1972, I got up around 5 AM just to see what happened on the day CBLT switched from Channel 6 to Channel 5, back in the old analog days. And sure enough, right after the colour bars disappeared, on came their new slide - upside down! 

It only lasted about the blink of an eye before it was corrected, but I'm pretty sure they did it in tribute to the pioneers in the early days. Unfortunately, that was the pre-VCR era so no evidence of it exists, but I was watching and saw it happen. 

November 15, 2018 12:04 pm  #4

One last note: I just saw this great article from TV writer Bill Brioux on the CBC series and the broadcaster's extensive archives.

CBC mines rare gems From The Vaults

November 15, 2018 12:25 pm  #5

one of my childhood memories includes me spending weekday afternoons watching channel 3. unfortunately, where we lived, there wasn't a station broadcasting on channel 3. note: i didn't say it was a fond childhood memory.

November 15, 2018 12:36 pm  #6

Well, I'm told there was a time when families would gather around their shiny new TV machines and watch a test pattern for half an hour. Such was the fascination with the early days of the medium.