sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2018 1:42 am  #1

Fred Napoli

I don't have any details but I'm seeing on FB that Fred Napoli has passed.  One of the most talented people to ever sit behind a microphone. 

November 10, 2018 9:27 am  #2

Re: Fred Napoli

Fred and I worked together at CFRB.  When he did the all night show he would tell stories on the air; which he had written.  He also added the music.  One of the most creative broadcasters I have ever known.  He of course was just an amazing voice in the world of commercials.

RIP Fred.  You were a gentle soul.

Last edited by John D (November 10, 2018 9:29 am)

November 10, 2018 3:45 pm  #3

These have been sad days, lately. Now, another one of the old CHML gang is gone. Fred and I worked there in the early '60s, when he was just beginning to tell his stories, influenced, I'm sure, by the wonderful Paul Reid.
Over the years, we'd run into each other, at a Tony Bennett concert at Roy Thompson or most recently more than once at the Charcoal Steak House in Kitchener to accommodate Stu Daly's love of pig tail dinners. Fred's commercial work just kept getting better with age. Fred Napoli was a superb talent. More important, as so many have said, Fred was such a nice guy. Funny, too.

November 11, 2018 6:03 am  #4

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 12, 2018 9:48 am  #5

I remember listening to his stories late night on CKFM. An amazing talent, who also played piano and was a good singer. Bud Riley has some great links about Napoli and his career, although you have to scroll down a bit on the page to find it. 

One of the articles is from an AFTRA profile and it contains a sentence that seems ineffably sad in light of his demise. "He intends to book Carnegie Hall for his 100th birthday," it reads, "where he plans on performing his sweeping compositions."

Bud Riley on Fred Napoli