sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2015 4:36 pm  #1

Toronto Fire Radios [Scanner stuff]

Interestingly, Toronto Fire seem to have moved back off the P25 system and back to analog.  They were simulcasting for a while, were supposed to exclusively move to P25 but have now moved back.    Toronto EMS are simulcasting on both the P25 system and the analog system.  They don't appear to be quite sold either. (or not enough new radios?)

Wonder if there's trouble in paradise?  Not that we would be told if there was.  

When it comes to fighting fires, I'd feel a lot safer if the guys in the building had analog talk around, and weren't dependent on hitting a digital tower to talk to each other, and for updates and dispatch.  I'm guessing 6 feet into a fire scene isn't the best place to get nothing but digital distortion.

Fingers crossed the system has choked and cooler heads have prevailed.

Last edited by ig (August 7, 2015 4:37 pm)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 7, 2015 6:17 pm  #2

Re: Toronto Fire Radios [Scanner stuff]

just wondering, but would it not be possible to have a small digital relay, or re-broad installed on major pieces of fire truck equipment... 
it could allow for operation as a local cell 

I  realize that there would be capital equipment cost to consider....

August 7, 2015 8:17 pm  #3

I honestly don't know a lot about digital trunking, I'm guessing they might be able to set it up, but I have no idea how complicated it would be.  

I do know that if a firefighter was at Lawrence Subway station on the platform and another was walking up the tunnel, I'll take an analog talk-around over... well..  hmmmm..

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 7, 2015 10:32 pm  #4

i'm just wondering.... if the fire station catches fire, who do they call?