sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Fri Sep 21 12:40 pm  #1

Search Party

As an admitted talk radio junkie, you get used to hearing the same old suspects advertise constantly, but I haven't heard a peep out of old staples Jack, Saul or Spence Diamonds for months.  Have they abandoned the format?

Fri Sep 21 3:04 pm  #2

Re: Search Party

Charlie wrote:

As an admitted talk radio junkie, you get used to hearing the same old suspects advertise constantly, but I haven't heard a peep out of old staples Jack, Saul or Spence Diamonds for months.  Have they abandoned the format?

Let me start this by asserting this is all strictly speculation. So here are my theories. for the little bit that they're worth:

-Jack has a tendency to pull his advertising from stations that fire him or cancel his talk shows. It happened at CFRB and now it's happened at 640. He's running out of stations to boycott! (Say, do you suppose he could turn up on CKNT?)

-Saul is in his 80s and I'm not sure how good his health is these days. But he turned the chore over to his son, who was doing the spots for a while. Why the scion is not still on is anyone's guess.

-One of the final commercials done by the original Spence Diamond ("Whooo!") guy revealed he was leaving to study something to do with diamonds in a remote area of the world. Someone else took his place, but it was never the same. (Thank goodness - that yell was really irritating.)

Or they may all have spent their budgets for the campaigns for the year and some of them could be back in the future. Or perhaps none of them saw enough sales increase to justify the expense. 

Now if they could just get Tom off the air. How bad do I think his spots are? If I'm in another room and the radio is on elsewhere and one of his endless monologues come on, I will actually get up from whatever I'm doing - even if it's important - and rush into the other room just to turn it off so I don't have to hear it. 

I'm sure he pays very well for the airtime, but this is one of those classic cases where I believe stations that let an owner do his own spots are turning off more listeners than than they're gaining. To date, I have yet to hear more than about the first 5-8 seconds before the dial is changed. And very often, I don't come back to that frequency for a while.

Fri Sep 21 4:26 pm  #3

I believe that they realised that the saturation point had been met. 100 percent of the population now has full brand awareness and are genuinely educated consumers. Spending any more on marketing would be redundant and wasteful.

Fri Sep 21 10:58 pm  #4

I did suggest on another thread that Jack Berkowitz would make a great morning man on CKNT.