sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 15, 2018 11:16 am  #1

60 Minutes Fans

The NFL season is once again here and non sports fans get frustrated when football is still on at 7pm on CBS stations. Heads up.Tonight and Sept 30, CBS has the late [425] doubleheader game. 60 Minutes won't start until 7:30, at the earliest.

September 15, 2018 6:11 pm  #2

Re: 60 Minutes Fans

Does CHCH go ahead and air 60 minutes on time? Or do they also have to wait?
I've noticed sometimes CBS programming that airs on Global is on time.

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 15, 2018 6:12 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 15, 2018 9:58 pm  #3

Radiowiz wrote:

As far as I know, CHCH always delays 60 Minutes, until CBS shows it. I think that's because Channel 11 is easily receivable in Buffalo, and they have to protect WIVB.

What usually happens as football runs on and on and on and on is that they keep doing a newscast, repeating the same things over and over until the game finally, mercifully ends. 

This is one of my biggest pet peeves about sporting events on the Eye Network. They NEVER end on time. Not once. And CBS shows are always endlessly delayed. I happen to be a fan of Madame Secretary, but good luck guessing when it will be on. I feel bad for the folks at "God Friended Me," one of their bizarre new Sunday night shows. I'm guessing few will ever see it, if it starts one week at 8:43 PM and the next at 9:07.

I'm aware CBS doesn't care because sports makes far more money in ad time than anything else they could show. But it plays havoc with DVR owners and you're constantly forced to tape six other shows you don't want, so you won't miss the ending of the one you do. Can't wait till February, when it's all over. (Of course, then there's golf or something else to run long, and it starts all over again...) 

September 16, 2018 6:43 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

As far as I know, CHCH always delays 60 Minutes, until CBS shows it. I think that's because Channel 11 is easily receivable in Buffalo, and they have to protect WIVB.

What usually happens as football runs on and on and on and on is that they keep doing a newscast, repeating the same things over and over until the game finally, mercifully ends. 

This is one of my biggest pet peeves about sporting events on the Eye Network. They NEVER end on time. Not once. And CBS shows are always endlessly delayed. I happen to be a fan of Madame Secretary, but good luck guessing when it will be on. I feel bad for the folks at "God Friended Me," one of their bizarre new Sunday night shows. I'm guessing few will ever see it, if it starts one week at 8:43 PM and the next at 9:07.

I'm aware CBS doesn't care because sports makes far more money in ad time than anything else they could show. But it plays havoc with DVR owners and you're constantly forced to tape six other shows you don't want, so you won't miss the ending of the one you do. Can't wait till February, when it's all over. (Of course, then there's golf or something else to run long, and it starts all over again...) 

I know this suggestion doesn't cover the over-the-air viewers, but don't most cable and satellite companies offer time shifting with west coast viewing/recording options? I know mine does and as a Family Guy fan I always set my DVR to record Fox's west coast feed during football season.  I don't think I've ever missed an episode.

September 17, 2018 8:29 am  #5

I too subscribe to the west coast Seattle feed for $3/month. With the exception of specialty live programs like the Academy Awards, all prime time schedules start at 11pm, AND it is all simsub free!                                                Regarding 60 Minutes on CHCH, I think the real reason they wait for football to end on CBS is simsub  so all those evil U.S. ads are kept from our eyes and we get subjected to the same four Canadian ads run over and over and over...

September 17, 2018 8:41 am  #6

Interestingly, this doesn't appear to extend to radio. CKTB airs the 60 Minutes audio at 7 PM on Sunday nights, no matter what time it starts on TV.

At least they used to. I noticed it wasn't on there last night. 

September 17, 2018 10:27 am  #7

Big Brother aired on time at 8pm on Global last night while CBS viewers had to wait until 8:30.
Lucky for Global, this wasn't one of the Big Brother Live episodes. (ie live eviction)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.