sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Wed Sep 5 1:57 pm  #31

Re: CKNT Reveals Live Programming Date. No, Really. This Time They Mean It

RadioActive wrote:

Chuck99 wrote:

I doubt the CRTC would tolerate this stuff on an FM frequency.  The AM band has become the location for ethnic programming and broadcasting wannabes.

This is very L.A. -oriented, but a local newspaper there coincidentally published this story on Tuesday. 

What would it take to get you to listen to AM radio?

I'm surprised at some of the responses and I'm not sure I believe them all, but the one that caught my eye was this one: 

“AM has nothing that would interest anyone my age. My friends don’t even listen to FM stations, either. We get our music online. If an AM station played new songs and new bands, I’d definitely tune in.”

Chuck99 wrote:

Curiously, CJMR 1320 was originally an English language station licensed to serve Mississauga when it broadcast on 1190 in the 1970s.  With the permission of the CRTC, it gradually morphed into an ethnic station in the 80s and 90s.

I remember CJMR very well and I used to listen to it all the time when it was still at 1190. They played a ton of Top 40 with almost no commercials. Back in the early-mid 70s, that was fantastic. Unfortunately, they used to have to sign off at sundown, to protect WOWO in Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

I'm pretty sure if they were still on that frequency today and doing the same thing, the CRTC would have come down on them hard for having little to no coverage about Mississauga.

Ironically, the Mississauga train derailment in 1979 was the catalyst for the station to seek a different frequency.  It could not provide proper coverage because it lacked nighttime service.  It had to rely on its sister station CHWO in Oakville to provide updates.

Fri Sep 7 8:48 am  #32

Looks like this station is taking photos with local politicians.

Check out @sauga960am’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/sauga960am/status/1038058176569073664?s=09

Fri Sep 7 8:54 am  #33

Have they had any type of marketing / promotion campaign to let residents know they are on the air?  Billboards, "Bus banners" on transit, newspapers ads, or even article about them in local newspapers?

Sun Sep 9 8:30 am  #34

Sunday morning at 9:30 and all I'm getting is static. I think it's off the air again.

Sun Sep 9 10:14 am  #35

Aytononline wrote:

Sunday morning at 9:30 and all I'm getting is static. I think it's off the air again.

Checked it at 11 AM. Still nothing. 

Well, I guess that answers the question about what they'll be airing on the weekend!