sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2018 8:36 pm  #1

Radio Legend Coming To SiriusXM Starting Monday

Not sure how many here know the name Shotgun Tom Kelly. He's an L.A. radio legend whose been on the air there for decades, has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and was the guy chosen to fill the huge shoes of the Real Don Steele after the latter's death. 

Next Monday, he shifts from local radio to satellite and you'll be able to hear him in Toronto if you subscribe to SiriusXM. He'll be doing the 60s on 6 from 7-11 PM Eastern beginning Aug. 20th. 

The Pasadena Star News quotes Shotgun Tom as saying he thought he'd be at his current home of KRTH forever. Not any more. 

"Now I will be heard throughout the United States and Canada! I cannot even begin to explain how exciting this is to me!”

Kelly will be recording the show – almost every shift at SiriusXM is “voice-tracked,” where the DJ records the intros and bits ahead of time rather than in real time – from studios in San Diego. 

The "newcomer" starts on Aug. 20th.

‘Shotgun’ Tom Kelly makes the jump to satellite

August 15, 2018 7:59 am  #2

Re: Radio Legend Coming To SiriusXM Starting Monday

I don't know why; but I was surprised at the comment that everyone was voice tracked on Sirius/XM  I listen to Flash Phelps every day and he sounds like he's definetly live.  Although I've always said that a real pro will never let you know he or she is voice tracked; because they are so good at what they do..

Last edited by AMFM (August 15, 2018 7:59 am)

August 15, 2018 11:09 am  #3

I think Pat St. John does his show live as well, or used to.  Great to hear that Shotgun Tom is signing on.  Sounds as if this means the SiriusXM end for Dave Hoeffel and the ageless Cousin Brucie...

August 15, 2018 5:16 pm  #4

I think Brucie now only does a live show once a week on Sat Nights. He takes calls and I can't see how would be voice tracked. I think that could continue with Kelly. There's a best of from him on Sundays. 

Last edited by Fitz (August 15, 2018 5:17 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 15, 2018 5:34 pm  #5

Fitz wrote:

He takes calls and I can't see how would be voice tracked.

It is possible.

August 15, 2018 9:06 pm  #6

Fitz wrote:

I think Brucie now only does a live show once a week on Sat Nights. He takes calls and I can't see how would be voice tracked. I think that could continue with Kelly. There's a best of from him on Sundays. 

Brucie is also on from 5-9 p.m. ET on Wednesday.

The new Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday schedule might look like this (all times ET):

6 a.m.- 1 p.m. - Flash Phelps
1-5 p.m. - Pat St. John
5-7 p.m. - Dave Hoeffel
7-11 p.m. - Shotgun Tom

Wednesday:

6 a.m.- 1 p.m. - Flash Phelps
1-5 p.m. - Pat St. John
5-9 p.m. - Cousin Brucie
9 p.m.-midnight - The '60s Satellite Survey with Ken Merson

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 16, 2018 1:09 am  #7

Phlash would be upset at the misspelling of his phirst name throughout this thread!