sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Fri Jul 13 12:16 pm  #1

Changes coming to CFPL TV (CTV London)

Copied this from Twitter.

London & Area viewers will notice an enhanced look to our newscast tonight. HD cameras have been installed. SD will be history. It’s been a long time coming but the changeover is now complete. https://t.co/xH7uvq3TVr

https://twitter.com/SteveYoungCTV/status/1017767281865248771?s=19

Fri Jul 13 2:08 pm  #2

Re: Changes coming to CFPL TV (CTV London)

They must be the absolute laughing stock of the broadcast world. They are only getting HD cams now? Damn, even my hometown community channel has had HD studio and mobile equipment for years.

And good for London! Now you'll be crystal clear,  broadcasting to an ever dwindling audience that has long tuned out and cut the cord.

Fri Jul 13 2:52 pm  #3

CTV Barrie's news finally went HD May 30th

Fri Jul 13 3:32 pm  #4

CTV TWO stations and some smaller CTV stations have been very slow to make the investment for local news.   Happy to see finally these stations getting the investment.    It's not as simple as the cameras. Control rooms, editing bays, etc all need updating.     Local news was the only item on these stations left in SD, and it's very much long over due, and some what embarrassing when they are owned by such a large company.    As for cutting of the cord, I would argue, CTV TWO London being an OTA station, may be what the cord cutters use for their local news, as it's available OTA.   I think if these stations go back to the basics and cut their american programming budget and put it into local news, they may find people care about the local station.   That's something no one else does in a community.   I can get shows anywhere, but local news, I can't get.   

Last edited by radiokid (Fri Jul 13 4:31 pm)

Fri Jul 13 3:35 pm  #5

Bell has been slow to upgrade to HD on most of its small market TV stations.  Last October, The News at Noon was the first newscast broadcast in HD from CTV Kitchener.

Fri Jul 13 5:08 pm  #6

radiokid wrote:

I can get shows anywhere, but local news, I can't get.

In principle, I agree with you Mr/Ms Radiokid. But, the notion that one has to make an appointment at 6 or 11 to watch video about stories that happened a long time ago (vis a vie as opposed to on-demand internet news) is a dying concept. Much like the newspaper industry, if I can get updated whenever I want and not see any advertising, why would I wait to see delayed information in either standard, high, ultra-high, 4k, uber-titanium definition?

Fri Jul 13 8:09 pm  #7

I hear that some of their radio stations will be going stereo next year.

Sat Jul 14 2:36 am  #8

cGrant wrote:

radiokid wrote:

I can get shows anywhere, but local news, I can't get.

In principle, I agree with you Mr/Ms Radiokid. But, the notion that one has to make an appointment at 6 or 11 to watch video about stories that happened a long time ago (vis a vie as opposed to on-demand internet news) is a dying concept. Much like the newspaper industry, if I can get updated whenever I want and not see any advertising, why would I wait to see delayed information in either standard, high, ultra-high, 4k, uber-titanium definition?

I agree with Radiokid. The demand is still there. They just need more exclusive live and local content. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (Sat Jul 14 3:01 am)

Sat Jul 14 9:13 am  #9

In the past when ever a new set or something positive is added to the studio they would make a big deal about it. The full time news anchor would be the one doing the first show. They would even do a story on how they made all this happen. And it would normally start on a Monday. This time it was like everything is installed now so let's just start using it.
And there lead anchor wasn't even there. Was this poor planing or is it not a big deal for the station.

Sat Jul 14 10:24 am  #10

Aytononline wrote:

Was this poor planing or is it not a big deal for the station.

Hand-me-downs from Toronto or another big market?

Sat Jul 14 10:48 am  #11

Reminds me of Trailer Park Boys, "now in high definition"

http://i.imgur.com/e0NWclm.png

Sat Jul 14 12:09 pm  #12

Aytononline wrote:

Was this poor planing or is it not a big deal for the station.

The station probably thought that the public assumed they already were in HD. By pointing out differently, it makes the station look outdated and not up on current information. Perception is everything.

Sat Jul 14 12:18 pm  #13

The London anchor did make a brief mention of the widescreen format in the weather throw and at the end of the show mentioned they went from this wide (hands held narrowly) to this wide (hands spread apart).  Most probably missed the reference and wondered what he was talking about.

Sat Jul 14 3:43 pm  #14

I'll bet most people will only twig to the fact that it's in widescreen.  I'm not even sure most people care.

Today's televisions (even the cheap ones) are actually rather good at up converting SD content.  I was amazed at how good my old DVDs still looked on my new cheap insignia LCD back in 2013.

Mon Jul 16 12:30 pm  #15

Does the CTV London channel still utitlize the CKNX repeater tower Wingham?

Mon Jul 16 3:44 pm  #16

Peter the K wrote:

... it's in widescreen.  I'm not even sure most people care.

Well I sure noticed immediately when Barrie news went from 4:3 to 16:9. A much overdue improvement.

2. Bell shut down Wingham last August along with a number of other repeaters mostly in Northern Ontario

Mon Jul 16 4:29 pm  #17

andysradio wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

... it's in widescreen.  I'm not even sure most people care.

Well I sure noticed immediately when Barrie news went from 4:3 to 16:9. A much overdue improvement.

2. Bell shut down Wingham last August along with a number of other repeaters mostly in Northern Ontario

The tower is still there oddly.  

Mon Jul 16 4:34 pm  #18

markow202 wrote:

Classic Rock 94 5 and 101.7 The One are on it.  Generally the new use for rural TV towers is for FM.

Mon Jul 16 5:50 pm  #19

andysradio wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Classic Rock 94 5 and 101.7 The One are on it.  Generally the new use for rural TV towers is for FM.

Right on - the rent alone will cover its cost to sit there. 

Tue Jul 17 8:40 am  #20

actually who owns that tower? [i think  blackburn held unto it when they  sold CKNX-TV]

Tue Jul 17 11:51 am  #21

arc23 wrote:

actually who owns that tower? [i think  blackburn held unto it when they  sold CKNX-TV]

Mostlikely Bell Media.  

Tue Jul 17 12:14 pm  #22

I was looking for the documents on the CRTC web site for who owns what, but I can't seem to find it. It would have been from 2003 or 2004. So from what I remember,  when Blackburn sold the TV station they sold the transmitter with it. Blackburn's 2 FM stations rent space on the TV tower on a long term lease. Bell then rents space at the CKNX building in Wingham on a month to month bases.

Tue Aug 28 9:49 am  #23

More changes coming, this time at the anchor desk.
https://london.ctvnews.ca/camille-ross-named-new-ctv-london-6-11-p-m-anchor-1.4069685
Tara Overholt is leaving CTV2 London and moving to Calgary.

Tue Aug 28 10:07 am  #24

This isn't London, but there are also changes at CTV Toronto as well on the weekends. 

Denise Andreacchi, the weekend weather person, said a fond farewell to viewers on Sunday, announcing she was leaving the station. No word on whether she's staying in broadcasting, but she's one of the few on-air types in recent years who actually got to say goodbye to viewers.  

On that same newscast, Colin D'Mello thanked viewers for watching during his six year tenure as weekend anchor, noting it would be his last behind the desk. He's been promoted to chief Queen's Park correspondent and will be covering that beat full time. He inherited the gig after Paul Bliss's career imploded with some #metoo accusations made by a former intern. 

Tue Aug 28 5:15 pm  #25

Denise Andreacchi just turned up on City TV doing the weather.

It's rare someone signs off from one place on a Sunday and turns up almost the next day on a competing station.

What was the name of the guy who was fired from 640 and turned up the same day on RB (or was it vice versa?) His name escapes me. 

Last edited by RadioActive (Tue Aug 28 5:24 pm)

Tue Aug 28 6:33 pm  #26

Andrew Lawton

Tue Aug 28 7:04 pm  #27

No, Lawton was the guy who worked for CFPL and was on 640 as an occasional fill in. He got into hot water running as a PC candidate in the Ontario election, admitted to some mental issues, and lost in his riding.

The guy I'm talking about went from 640 in the morning to 'RB in the evening - that same day! He briefly did a stint on City TV as a reporter and then I think he ended up out east at a Rogers All News station in Halifax or someplace similar. Where he is now is anyone's guess, but I just can't seem to think of his name.

I'm betting someone here with better synapses than yours truly knows who I'm talking about. (I'm starting to feel like 1010 morning host John Moore, who also, of late, can never seem to remember anyone's name.) 

Tue Aug 28 7:32 pm  #28

Andrew Krystal then.