sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2018 10:26 pm  #1

Former CHUM Newsman J.J. Richards Gone At 88

I was glancing through the obits in the Star Saturday, when I came across the name James Joseph Richards.

It took me a second to realize this was the same J.J. Richards who worked at a number of Toronto stations during a lengthy career, most notably in the CHUM newsroom. He was at 1050 from 1957-1964, and followed up at CFTO and CBC Toronto, before moving out west and having a successful career as, among other things, the News Director of CFUN Vancouver for 18 years. 

He won a ton of awards during an amazing career that lasted 50 years. 

He passed away on June 30th in Rancho Mirage, California, where he retired a number of years ago.

J.J. Richards, one of the CHUM originals, was 88. 

Toronto Star obit

Pugetsoundradio.ca obit 

July 8, 2018 10:34 am  #2

Re: Former CHUM Newsman J.J. Richards Gone At 88

Thanks for the memories RA.

July 8, 2018 12:09 pm  #3

Re: Former CHUM Newsman J.J. Richards Gone At 88

J.J. Richards was already at CHUM when I started there in February of 1965.  He had had a stage act with CHUM's Promotion Director Allen Farrell in Edmonton before they both came to CHUM in the late 1950's.  J.J. was a jack-of-all-trades - a highly respected newsman and a weekend fill-in DJ.  He also hosted "CHUM Steps Out" when the station used to broadcast live music from across Toronto.  As a board op, I operated for J.J. quite a few times on weekend shows.  Very wry wit.  He used to call himself the 'Arabian Fabian' on the air..  Here's a photo from the CHUM Archives from 1959 with J.J. and morning man Al Boliska in a Toronto soap box derby.      

Last edited by Doug Thompson (July 8, 2018 12:18 pm)