sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2018 7:59 pm  #1

Why Do Paid Time Radio Shows Pause For Commercials?

I’ve never been in sales, so perhaps this is something I just don’t understand. And maybe someone here can explain it to me. Why does a paid hour-long show that’s purchased by an advertiser pause for spots from someone completely unrelated?

On Wednesday, I had the radio on in another room with the usual employment law show prattling on in the background and I wasn’t really listening to it. But then they threw to a break and commercials for Ford and an investment firm came on. My question: why? Didn’t the employment law firm pay for that hour? So why are they running messages within what’s already a bought-and-paid-for spot? And who wants to run their message during what is for all intents and purposes a very long commercial (unless it’s a make good of some kind?)

Maybe Iain, who hosts those kinds of shows on the weekend, can explain it to me. Because it doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense.

Although someone’s making a lot of cents.

June 27, 2018 9:25 pm  #2

Re: Why Do Paid Time Radio Shows Pause For Commercials?

An easy answer: despite a disclaimer heard before/during the show signifying the following is a paid ad, people don't register that and, by airing other commercials, the scamsters masquerade as regular non-shilled programs. Scamsters through and through. It devalues the "host" (sacrilege yes, considering, but...) and the station brand. Pity. They assume listeners are idiots. Some are. Most tune away.

At least those "purity" garbage spots have "commercials" advertising "purity" products (with a different voice and tone). The ones on RB truly slap their listeners with the notion that they are so illegitimate, they need to further deceive the listener with added noise.

One wonders what the "legitimate" sponsors, during these shysters programs, think of them paying to air during paid infomercials? Or is the time period so irrelevant, they pay pennies on the dollar? Or do they not even monitor the air product they are paying for?

June 27, 2018 11:06 pm  #3

it is brokered time.  same as religious or some ethnic programming.  or fishing and car shows on early morning weekend tv.

you buy your half hour from the station then make your money from selling ad time to sympathetic products.  it adds to the fake premise of a real program rather than a full 30 minute shill.

the station gets its 30 minute price and the brokered content producer can potentially turn a profit.

June 29, 2018 2:12 pm  #4

Ok but if a brokered program runs ROS spots, who gets the revenue for those spots?  Or are they all freebies just to make it sound good?

Kind of reminds me of the time I was listening to the employment hour when they threw to a commercial and the first spot was for Kornblum Law. (another employment lawyer)

June 29, 2018 2:24 pm  #5

Think of it this way...

The client who is paying for the infomercial is playing only for the 48 mins to do their "talk show".   The rest of it is normal ads that would run, meaning the station is making money on the whole hour VS some of it. 

I get the logic...   It's not quality programming, but most times, it's in time slots that frankly wouldn't be economical to run normal programming anyhow. 

June 29, 2018 3:04 pm  #6

Peter the K wrote:

Ok but if a brokered program runs ROS spots, who gets the revenue for those spots?  Or are they all freebies just to make it sound good?

Kind of reminds me of the time I was listening to the employment hour when they threw to a commercial and the first spot was for Kornblum Law. (another employment lawyer)

no.  i buy 60 minutes of airtime.  it is mine to do with as i please.  i now own those minutes of inventory.  so i go to you and sell spots during my 60 minutes to help pay for that airtime.  if i choose to sell spot time back to the station thats my choice... but i lose control of the content.

all sales revenue comes to me to offset the cost of airtime.  hopefully i turn a profit.  lots of programming is like that on both tv and radio.

Last edited by splunge (June 29, 2018 3:06 pm)

June 29, 2018 4:05 pm  #7

splunge wrote:

no. i buy 60 minutes of airtime. it is mine to do with as i please. i now own those minutes of inventory. so i go to you and sell spots during my 60 minutes to help pay for that airtime. if i choose to sell spot time back to the station thats my choice... but i lose control of the content.

all sales revenue comes to me to offset the cost of airtime. hopefully i turn a profit. lots of programming is like that on both tv and radio.

Yes, splunge, you're unequivocally right. There is absolutely NO other type of contract. Your "truth" shall be accepted without question or pause.

Now, for the rest of you, there are multiple types of bought time contract conditions. ALL of the ones mentioned in this thread are valid options.

June 29, 2018 8:24 pm  #8

thanks for your feedback cgrant.  its good to know i can count on your unassuming presence and pleasant demeanour to set me straight. 

i was clearly wrong to suggest one example of brokering.  so relieved to hear that there are other schemes out there in the broadcast industry.  how could i have been so niaeve?

June 29, 2018 8:58 pm  #9

You didn't just suggest it as one example, you denied the previous one.

Last edited by Don (June 29, 2018 8:59 pm)

June 29, 2018 11:37 pm  #10

Don wrote:

You didn't just suggest it as one example, you denied the previous one.

Thank you, Don.  Splunge just likes to be argumentative.