sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 25, 2018 1:29 pm  #1

GNR 640’s Lou Schizas Under Fire Over Detained U.S. Children Remarks

Last Wednesday, I heard something on GNR 640 that I’ve never heard before – business reporter Lou Schizas issuing a kind of retraction about something he’d said the previous day. I didn’t hear the original broadcast he was referring to, but I did think it was unusual for him to issue a mea culpa. After all, he rarely apologizes for anything.

It turns out Schizas had made some kind of bizarre remark about the plight of detained illegal migrant children in the States, and an apparent claim that one of the most famous photos of the past few years involving a dead Syrian child being picked up from a beach wasn’t what it seemed to be.

His carefully chosen words about not meaning what he’d said was supposed to be the end of it.

But clearly it’s not.

Now Canadaland has stepped in to do a rehash on what happened, complete with transcripts of what was said on air and the restored audio, which had been removed from the station’s website. (You know there’s trouble brewing when you have to pull the recording from your own site.)

Schizas has never been shy about offering his opinions, even when they’re not business related. I wonder if the heat from this will make him think twice.

Oakley is on vacation this week, which conveniently makes it impossible for him to comment on the issue. I'm sure the station hopes the entire thing will go away long before he returns.  

You can read the story here.

June 25, 2018 3:54 pm  #2

Re: GNR 640’s Lou Schizas Under Fire Over Detained U.S. Children Remarks

Ouch. That apology must've hurt. Lou does come across as one to which the 'five minute rule' applies.

June 25, 2018 3:59 pm  #3

Re: GNR 640’s Lou Schizas Under Fire Over Detained U.S. Children Remarks

Lou has always been a s**t-disturber on-air. Every piece he does starts with "let me get you up to date QUICKLY". It's as if he rushes through the business news (who actually needs this in 2018?) just to comment on whatever the host is talking about. So, what is it? A business brief and contrarian blasting or what? If I was PD, frankly, I'd get rid of the "report" OR give him 90 seconds for a RECORDED business brief with no commentary or interaction with the host.