sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 21, 2018 11:23 am  #1

CBC Newsworld's Money Woes Leads To Ironic Cancellation

It's hard to believe, given the taxpayer funds that support them, but that CBC is again pleading poverty. The latest example is somewhat ironic - they need the bucks elsewhere, so they've cancelled a daily Newsworld business show, a program that, of course, is all about money. 

They're feeding the funding into more digital resources, which they feel is a more effective way to reach a modern audience. But it's not just the biz show that's going to feel the pinch. 

From the Globe & Mail:

"Beginning Friday, June, 29, the channel will no longer always be live during the full broadcast day, moving instead to an hourly cycle from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. of 30-minute live programming followed by a 30-minute taped repeat. It is unclear yet if that approach will last beyond the summer." 

CBC cancels On the Money business show, cites lack of funds

June 21, 2018 12:22 pm  #2

Re: CBC Newsworld's Money Woes Leads To Ironic Cancellation

Irvine wrote:

In the rest of the world (outside angry white guy land) this is called planning for the future

Agreed. Good on the Mother Corp (yes, I'm being complementary here) "planning for the future", IS something more companies MUST (as opposed to "could" or "should") do. I'm rather startled that this taxpayer-funded sinkhole is doing this.

Could this be the start of a government-funded entity actually being fiscally responsible?!

June 21, 2018 4:35 pm  #3

Irvine wrote:

Don't think we need a traditional CBC "news" channel anymore. News is a commodity. 

I'm with Cogeco and CBC News Net is part of their My Mix packages. Meaning subscribers can choose to have the channel or not. That's the best of all worlds: it will live or die based on subscriber uptake. (Or, will it? Knowing the government, they probably get some ducats, regardless). 

Interestingly, since PnP has been introduced, several channels have walked off the proverbial plank: Bio, bpmtv, Discovery Kids, Dusk, Edge TV, Fine Living, Fox Sports World, Global Reality, iChannel, M3, Pet Network, Sundance, Teletoon Retro, Viceland and a naughty spanking of others. Happy Capitalism.

June 21, 2018 5:38 pm  #4

Chuck99 wrote:

likely low ratings factored into the cancellation of the business show. 

To have only half of each hour live on the News Network makes sense during the summer because anchors can work longer shifts when they have a half hour break every 30 minutes.  Longer shifts mean fewer staff are required to substitute for those on summer vacation..

Does the CBC CARE about ratings? They just mosey up to the taxpayer trough and grab another handful.

I'm a bit unclear: yes, you need fewer staff, but, are you not paying the anchors for a full hour, even if they only work half of the time? What are the absurdly bloated staff doing during the reroll?

June 21, 2018 11:50 pm  #5

I'm pretty sure Newsworld isn't supposed to receive federal funding because of its pay TV status. That's obviously a crock, since they recycle shows that are tax payer funded from the main channel, but still. It's supposed to live exclusively off of subscription and ad revenue.

According to the filings from the CRTC, the channel's becoming increasingly less profitable even though revenue remains flat. You'll notice most of that money is coming from subscriptions, which is why there isn't a free version offered.

June 22, 2018 12:53 am  #6

Irvine wrote:

CBC's next step should be to create a complete repository of their programming in something like Netflix or create their own portal.  The audience can then go there, pick all the Canadiana they want and watch it.  And they should easily list all their shows online like APTN does. 

It's already there.

https://watch.cbc.ca/

On any browser or download the apps for both Android and IOS.  Pretty much everything currently (and not so currently) on the network is available in resolutions (if available) up to 1080p.

Likewise, their sports coverage is second to none.  A lot of things get streamed that never make it to air, or maybe as a highlight for a minute somewhere.  Events that take place at odd hours (for us) are shown live.  And it's all archived so you can watch on demand.

Best part is, the apps are compatible with chromecast so you're not stuck watching something on a tiny screen.

It's far from perfect, (especially the sports app -- I don't like it at all but I love the website) but it's certainly heading in the right direction.  Figuring out how to monetize it seems to be one o their biggest hurdles.  They have a separate department only launched 3 years ago that has spearheaded all this (along with all the digital backend for news and other programming) and they're looking at exponential growth this year.

June 22, 2018 8:06 am  #7

CBC News Network (the name Newsworld was dropped many years ago) is my personal preference of all the Canadian 'all news' channels. I hope this half hourly repetition doesn't become the beginning of the end. 

June 22, 2018 10:19 am  #8

zed wrote:

CBC News Network (the name Newsworld was dropped many years ago) is my personal preference of all the Canadian 'all news' channels. I hope this half hourly repetition doesn't become the beginning of the end. 

Ditto for me, although The National -- on both the cable net and the 'main' channel -- still befuddles me.
_Too_many_anchors_, and it doesn't seem to be working.

June 22, 2018 2:26 pm  #9

Wasn't there a CBC Newsworld International channel once upon a time in the 1990's?

June 22, 2018 2:47 pm  #10

betaylored wrote:

Wasn't there a CBC Newsworld International channel once upon a time in the 1990's?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cbc-to-shut-down-newsworld-international-1.523720

June 22, 2018 7:46 pm  #11

cGrant wrote:

betaylored wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cbc-to-shut-down-newsworld-international-1.523720

thanks cGrant

June 24, 2018 11:35 pm  #12

CTV News Channel runs the same half hour over and over so CBC News Network might as well do the same.  The viewer can switch back and forth and not miss anything.