sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2018 4:06 pm  #1

An interesting positioning strategy for this UK radio station

45 Radio in the UK is a new upstart radio station in the UK...as the name says, it is dedicated to those 45-69...it is more uptempo collection of music from the 60-90's...and the jingles/imaging is a bit of throwback to radio from the 70's...

I am wondering if this would catch on in Canada, where, a station positioned itself direct to the age, sex, or other demographic of the group they were targeting...

Now, that being said, the music is similar to Boom and CKDO in the Durham Region, but it is the positioning strategy I find attractive...

Check it out. It is pretty good and well presented and it launches on June 21st officially!

http://www.radio45.co.uk/

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

June 16, 2018 4:28 pm  #2

Re: An interesting positioning strategy for this UK radio station

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

it is dedicated to those 45-69...it is more uptempo collection of music from the 60-90's...and the jingles/imaging is a bit of throwback to radio from the 70's...
the music is similar to Boom/

Radio could always try something different here, sure. But, Canadian radio usually follows the three-decade rule. (Boom is 70s/80s/90s, so that UK station isn't quite "similar").

Frankly, I very much like Boom, but I can safely say, that UK 4-decade span would not frost my cupcakes and I'd tune away. Also, Boom slants heavily towards the middle of their graph, with emphasis on the 80s. (with respect, 60's music is a major turnoff for me)